custom saddle  

1 member has voted

1. 1. aproxx year made

• 1940's
    • 1950's
    • 1960's

I have had this saddle for a few months, purchased it from a collector vintage western. Has no makers mark. I believe it to be a custom.

This saddle wights about 55lbs has a horn width of 7" 16 seat rawhide wrapped tree, builtin saddle bags and a skirt length of 28"

Any ideas out there about this saddle?

custom-stock-yard-western-work-saddle-hill-saddlery.jpg

Paul,

First, is the fleece real sheep skin or imitation.  Second, check for staples holding pieces onto tree; if so, it's factory made.  Third, if it passes the first two tests: real fleece, not stapled, then check the bars under the left stirrup leather for a tree maker's mark (some makers put their mark or label here).  Fourth, what type of screws have been used: phillips head or slotted oval.  Older saddles would use slotted oval, and maybe brass, no stainless steel nor fancy star heads.  Check stirrup leathers for their adjustment buckles.  If they are laced, this could indicate an older saddle, maybe 1940s or older.  However, since the rigging is inskirt, and the weight is heavy, I tend to think that the saddle isn't antique worthy.   If the stirrups are original, they appear to be heavy roper style stirrups that came out maybe in the 1960s. 

Please keep us informed of your findings.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the input!

1. Fleece is real. 2. No Staples construction (leather, screws and nails). 3 No makers mark on skirt under left fender(jockey) 4. All hardware is slotted heads steel screws ,steel nails, copper, and nickle silver. Tree is solid wood rawhide wrapped. 5 has genuine Blevins. Buckles

I believe this saddle was made in the 1960's. I really have no idea who could have made it. The horn size is what has me puzzled as to who made this saddle

Saddle is well made, the only flaw would be the two piece skirt construction.

Paul C.

custom-stock-yard-western-work-saddle-hill-saddlery-1.jpg

That large horn was typical of Mexican-made saddles back in the day. My totally uneducated guess would be that you are right about your time frame. I'd say 1960s and that it is Mexican-made. Also, Mexican leather from that era tended to be lighter and not as well tanned as American-made leather, so that may be a telltale. Can't really tell from the photos.