scrapyarddog

Briefcase using Sedgwick

Sedgwick Bridle is beautiful to look at but it's pretty stiff. For the gusset, I had to split it down to 3 oz and reluctantly line it with 2 oz cow suede (wish there was 1 oz suede).

Probably should've cut the lining slightly smaller than the main body. Would make better edges.

Took 1 week... Well worth the pain.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Really nice work!

I like the lining. Why dont you use pigskin lining? It’s very thin.

Is there much demand for this type of bag these days? I thought satchels were more the trend now?

Very nice briefcase! Love the interior, lined and finished with pockets and pen holders.

One thing I would consider is rounding corners of the flap, since you rounded bottom corners of the briefcase. But this is a minor issue. Beautiful work!

That is a beautiful case. 

Very nice indeed!  Love the interior with the green color.  It really makes the tan color pop.  Very clean execution.  And thanks for showing the inside, I always appreciate the thought folks put into it.  Some don't have enough pockets and loops for my taste and some probably go overboard.  Yours seems about right.

Wonderful case! I particularly like the interior.

Nice froggy socks, too.

Jeff

11 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Really nice work!

I like the lining. Why dont you use pigskin lining? It’s very thin.

Is there much demand for this type of bag these days? I thought satchels were more the trend now?

Hey thanks! I tried pig suede once, but I could not ignore the pores. Couldn't live with it.  Thought about splitting the cow suede in inventory but it's just too soft and wouldn't take the blade. Might try goat suede as it seems to be below 2 oz.

I'm not sure there's a rising demand for it but do have 8 orders on hand right now. Every piece with some customization.

8 hours ago, pitersek said:

Very nice briefcase! Love the interior, lined and finished with pockets and pen holders.

One thing I would consider is rounding corners of the flap, since you rounded bottom corners of the briefcase. But this is a minor issue. Beautiful work!

Totally agree with you. I just got lazy. HA!

8 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That is a beautiful case. 

Thanks! A few more kinks I need to figure out, but overall it's getting easier to make these.

8 hours ago, AndersenLeather said:

You did a really good job on that. I'm impressed that it only took you one week to make. How many hours a day did you work on it?

HAHA! Andersen Leather! You wrote that instructable, right? I read your piece a few times and determined it was possible to make it with my skills. I changed a few steps, not sure if for better or worse, but your article really helped.

I have to show a customer a sample before he buys so rushed this one out. I want to say 30 hours.

39 minutes ago, scrapyarddog said:

HAHA! Andersen Leather! You wrote that instructable, right? I read your piece a few times and determined it was possible to make it with my skills. I changed a few steps, not sure if for better or worse, but your article really helped.

I have to show a customer a sample before he buys so rushed this one out. I want to say 30 hours.

Yes I wrote it :) I’m glad it helped you. It sure helps me remember what I did. I have also changed steps and techniques as you learn something new every time you make one. I have just made the templates in acrylic with holes for everything so that will speed up the process. I work slow so I think I’m closer to 60 hours if not more. 30hours is fast!

3 hours ago, AndersenLeather said:

Yes I wrote it :) I’m glad it helped you. It sure helps me remember what I did. I have also changed steps and techniques as you learn something new every time you make one. I have just made the templates in acrylic with holes for everything so that will speed up the process. I work slow so I think I’m closer to 60 hours if not more. 30hours is fast!

Definitely. With every bag I make I learn a few things even if it's just the way to handle the awl, blade or even needles.

I thought about getting templates, but that would mainly be for planning so I can minimize loss. However, it seems the best way to minimize loss is to just use better leather. Sedgwick's Bend, Mini Bend and Half Backs have very little loss and the shapes are rectangular so it's easy to visualize the cuts. I'm not getting enough orders or at least enough orders of the exact same design to justify a template or die.

You probably take more time planning it. I usually draw out designs and dimensions and just go right into it.

Really well made bag, congratulations on this beautiful piece. Would you (or AndersenLeather) mind sharing the link to the instructable? And where did you get these nice locks? Thanks for the info.  

41 minutes ago, charon said:

Really well made bag, congratulations on this beautiful piece. Would you (or AndersenLeather) mind sharing the link to the instructable? And where did you get these nice locks? Thanks for the info.  

You can find it here:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Classic-leather-briefcase-with-accordion-gusset/

On my blog you can find the same and much more http://andersenleather.blogspot.com/

the locks are from

http://abbeyengland.com/

On 3.5.2018 at 10:24 PM, AndersenLeather said:

Thanks for sharing the information, much appreciated. And great website btw. 

looks nice ;)

Beautiful bag.   Agree about the corners.  I like the pop that comes from the lining.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, Matt S said:

Beautiful bag, @scrapyarddog. If I may ask, how heavy is it?

Thanks!

It depends, but they can run anywhere between 5 and 9 lb. A 9~10 oz + lining, 2 divider, no magazine pocket, runs 9 lb or so, and a 5 oz + lining 2 divider with mag pocket is about 5.5~6 lb. I never made an one divider w/o mag pocket with 5 oz unlined so no clue how light that would be but I assume it would be around 4 lb.

IMG_0454-1.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

Edited by scrapyarddog

Cool!

On 11/15/2018 at 3:56 PM, Scoutmom103 said:

Beautiful bag.   Agree about the corners.  I like the pop that comes from the lining.

Hey thanks!

Yea, I decided to stop being lazy and drew corners that combine an 8" radius and 4".

I like the contrast but most folks don't. Oh WELL.