OnceFoundCo

Best machine to achieve quality blind emboss impression

Hi, 

I'm new to this forum & looking for advice / recommendations re: machines to blind emboss leather products. I'm launching an online business specializing in personalized leather items for baby & children. 

I won't be using foil as it's unsafe for baby chewing etc. One of the products in our collection is a leather pacifier/dummy strap which i want to personalize with a blind embossing of baby's name or initials.

The leather I'll be using is sourced from Germany. Veg tanned and naturally coloured with subtle textures. From all of my research it seems the best impression results will come from hot press rather than cold (esp. considering the leather I'm using)

Budget is around $500 - $850 max. Kwikprint is too expensive. Used Kingsley, Howard machines maybe? Any others?

I know a lot about leather but the hot stamping / embossing is new to me. Will be great to get some advice from experts. 

Cheers,

George 

Production quality machines come up on industrial auctions very frequently because they're used in so many industries. Smaller ones are within your budget. Check bidspotter.com. I got a pneumatic Kwikprint 86 with a hundred pounds of foil and loads of other stuff for $300.

Thanks very much. If I could find a Kwikprint for $300 I'll be laughing.

Maybe I am just lame but I don't understand why you would use any tanned leather for a teether. I would be afraid of all sorts of nasty contaminants. Drum dyed vegtan stamps very well when cased (dampened) with just a standard press and stamps, including alphabet stamps for initials and smaller type sets for full names. I assume you could blind stamp custom letter sets. 

Your business model makes no sense to me since you are producing custom items. 

I use an arbor press and off the shelf alphabet sets to produce custom items. I also use non toxic acrylic paint if I need to enhance the impressions.

The strap below was a test done some years ago to test the durability of the Acrylic paint. It's absolutely pristine after years of heavy use on my banjo.

Banjo-Strap-Old-Time1.thumb.jpg.b121c52a7f1ee42b712628543b925b2e.jpg

Not sure how well the paint would hold up in a kids mouth though.

Bob