Here are some pictures of my first attempt at a pancake holster.  Thank you Jeff at JLS for the patterns.  I learn something new on every holster, on this one I learned not to finish the front piece before test fitting and making sure the top of it and the mouth of the holster are exactly even.  I ended up with some stitches actually in the edge of the mouth of the holster.  Comments and critique appreciated.

Todd

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

For some reason the front picture did not show up so here it is.

IMG_1700.jpg

Looks like a good fit, and always "extra points" for using contrasting thread color :o 

Did you use the same leather (from teh same hide) for the panel?  Looks a bit darker than the main front piece.

Did you line it?  Wondering why the stitch acros the bottom but not the top?

Havent seen that grip before.. hmmm.. wonder if now Im gonna have to figger a holster to match those grips .... so many grips, so little time..

The panel is a different piece of leather but the color difference has more to do with the dye job.  It was supposed to be a 2 tone with the holster being fieblings  saddle tan and the panel dark brown.  But after the first coat of saddle tan the color was right but a little blotchy so I gave it a second coat and it darkened up a bunch.  It is lined, 2 4-5 oz pieces glued together.  The missed stitching on the top is just an oversight.  I was concentrating on both bottoms and got them sewn up and jumped right to gluing together and then sewing the rest, I didn't notice the missing top stitches until I was wet molding it.   The grip on the 1911 is probably a special edition, that is the NRA gun of the year and it comes as a package with a knife that has matching handle scales.  Also the contrasting thread color is a  little because I like the look but also I have not had good luck with black or brown in my Boss and neither color seems to have the body like the white does when you use it. This was sewn with possibly the oldest Tippman Boss still going, it is serial #130.

I admire you "boss" boys -- determination! ;)

Nice job... and I am starting to regret having sold my old Boss.... but it is getting much more use in its new home.

On 5/2/2018 at 6:35 PM, JLSleather said:

If you only knew how many of your glock 42/43 patterns have been stitched with my Boss

On 5/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, JLSleather said:

Thank you, . . . I appreciate the vote of confidence, . . . 

(so does the Boss)

May God bless,

Dwight

12 hours ago, Bayou Bengal said:

If you only knew how many of your glock 42/43 patterns have been stitched with my Boss

Good to hear those patterns are gittin some USE!

11 hours ago, Dwight said:

Thank you, . . . I appreciate the vote of confidence, . . . 

(so does the Boss)

May God bless,

I saw the table set up you made for that stitcher -- LOVE the layout and the thought you put into the setup.

Dwight,

This is off topic for this thread but do you have any hints for using colored thread in the Boss?  I have tried black and brown and just don't get the nice stitches like the white does.  I made sure it was the same size and type as the white but so far no luck.  Honestly I am slightly afraid to experiment since right now everything is working well.  I am currently using nylon thread I purchased from Weaver, the brown also came from them I think the black was from Sheridan Leather when they were still around.  I am using 277 thread top and bottom.

Thanks,

Todd

Edited by Hildebrand