If you've ever tried to resist dye with tan kote or supersheen or whatever, you probably had less than stellar results.   Using liquid frisket can do the job but there's a few things you need to know.

I don't much care for that holster.  Looks.. idunno... unfinished somehow :rofl:

19 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I don't much care for that holster.  Looks.. idunno... unfinished somehow :rofl:

You are an astute observer!

Next step.  Fade applied and latex removed to reveal pristine leather underneath.

gorg1.jpg

Looks like she peeled purdy good.  Still in teh works, more to come? (WHY does that 'h' stick like that ?@!)

Despite using this technique, I am still tickled when it works as anticipated.  Soooooo many failures have left me with a nervous tic.  Still have edges, holes and finish to apply and then its done.

Looking good!  That latex stuff does work great, but it feels soooooo damned weird when you peel it off.  It's like peeling skin after a sunburn. (I've seen your skin tone and you're living in the Mediterranean - I know you know what I mean!)

-Bill 

4 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Looking good!  That latex stuff does work great, but it feels soooooo damned weird when you peel it off.  It's like peeling skin after a sunburn. (I've seen your skin tone and you're living in the Mediterranean - I know you know what I mean!)

-Bill 

Dude..I don't leave the house between 11 and 4 without SPF 1 billion!  And you're right.  Its creepy.  

Thank you so much for sharing. Great video no many levels. Wonderful holster. 

Gene 

Not enough coffee in me. The previous post should read "On so many levels". I should not type before waking.  

Lol!  I understand fully!  On my second coffee of the day already.

LOL,  I know what you mean!  I'm not a red-head, but have enough Celtic genes to need sunscreen when I go outside in summer.

Is Frisket for leather only, or can you buy it in other craft stores?

skin shades for white people.jpg

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

LOL,  I know what you mean!  I'm not a red-head, but have enough Celtic genes to need sunscreen when I go outside in summer.

LMAO!  Same here!  Frisket has been used in water color and other media for a long time.  Hobby lobby, Dick Blicks and Michaels all carry it.

Is that ancient Greek on the holster?

Bob

I watched that whole video, waiting to see dye go on and to see the peel come off.  Felt somehow denied the satisfaction.   :huh:

Otherwise, awesome video, and great info, thanks for sharing!   :)

YinTx

very cool, thanx!  Be Super careful with benzine, the vapors are deadly

I embrace my spirit dyes.

No benzine in leather dyes. Only spirits including ethanol and isopropyl alcohol.

As for other spirits:

Image result for marie la po voodoo

Yikes!! That doll looks a lot like me :blink:  before you poke pins in it, let me explain-- in immiketoo's video he mentions cleaning his brushes with benzene.  I did a quickie wiki and it turns out there's benzene and benzine. While both are highly flammable volatiles, wiki says "...not to be confused with..." 

In a nutshell:

Benzine is known as petroleum ether because it is so light, and is used as a solvent.

Benzene is petrochemical, used as an industrial solvent. It gives gasoline it's sweet smell and is a carcinogen. It's vapors are so nasty it was replaced by toluene which has also been removed from most products like the glue people used to sniff.

A respirator is recommended for both.

On 5/6/2018 at 2:58 AM, YinTx said:

I watched that whole video, waiting to see dye go on and to see the peel come off.  Felt somehow denied the satisfaction.   :huh:

Otherwise, awesome video, and great info, thanks for sharing!   :)

YinTx

Sorry man.  Hard to film everything all the time.

On 5/6/2018 at 2:36 AM, BDAZ said:

Is that ancient Greek on the holster?

Bob

Its an ancient runic language used by the Greeks but it predates what is considered ancient Greek.

17 hours ago, BadDaditood said:

very cool, thanx!  Be Super careful with benzine, the vapors are deadly

I have all kinds of respirators and good ventilation.

15 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I embrace my spirit dyes.

Like spirit animals?

14 hours ago, BDAZ said:

No benzine in leather dyes. Only spirits including ethanol and isopropyl alcohol.

As for other spirits:

Image result for marie la po voodoo

I used a glue solvent to clean it.  Don't think its actually benzine or benzene but some other solvent.  I should probably check that...

1 hour ago, BadDaditood said:

Yikes!! That doll looks a lot like me :blink:  before you poke pins in it, let me explain-- in immiketoo's video he mentions cleaning his brushes with benzene.  I did a quickie wiki and it turns out there's benzene and benzine. While both are highly flammable volatiles, wiki says "...not to be confused with..." 

In a nutshell:

Benzine is known as petroleum ether because it is so light, and is used as a solvent.

Benzene is petrochemical, used as an industrial solvent. It gives gasoline it's sweet smell and is a carcinogen. It's vapors are so nasty it was replaced by toluene which has also been removed from most products like the glue people used to sniff.

A respirator is recommended for both.

I also wear gloves with that stuff.  Its really hard on the body.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:37 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

Search for liquid latex and you'll find it cheaper in larger quantities i purchased a quart abour 5 years ago for approximately $12 and its still good. Kept in cool dark cabinet.

Can you use the liquid Latex over a previously colored as in painted and/or dyed area? 

Such as a tooled multi-colored picture Then have the a larger area stained similar to your video.

This is a Back belt /Kidney belt I will be using for Renaissance Festivals. Sorry for the crappy Cell phone pic.

Still have some coloring to do for the shield & helmet. The back ground "quilted area" I will cover with Saddle tan.

I don't want to "muddy" the family crest.

back belt -2.jpg

back belt-1.jpg

Edited by Geo148
add pictures

On 6/29/2019 at 2:18 PM, Geo148 said:

Can you use the liquid Latex over a previously colored as in painted and/or dyed area? 

Such as a tooled multi-colored picture Then have the a larger area stained similar to your video.

This is a Back belt /Kidney belt I will be using for Renaissance Festivals. Sorry for the crappy Cell phone pic.

Still have some coloring to do for the shield & helmet. The back ground "quilted area" I will cover with Saddle tan.

I don't want to "muddy" the family crest.

back belt -2.jpg

back belt-1.jpg

Absolutely.  Just make sure you test on a piece similar to your work piece and of course, make sure everything is fully dry.

On 6/29/2019 at 6:18 AM, Geo148 said:

If you're covering large areas, just apply the 'stick-em' to the back of a piece of card stock then stick the card stock to the design.  Don't even need to "glue" the whole piece.. just maybe 1/2" along all edges. 

Some of you may have heard of "masking"?  Leather people like to call it "resist" or "block", but it's the same thing.  

And, no need to find an art supply store and spend the morning's wages on something to "mask" with.  Most places have a small bottle of RUBBER CEMENT which works great for this.   An 8 oz bottle is a couple bucks at any hobby lobby or home improvement store, and lasts a LONG time.

Note I have tried a couple different versions of "painter tape" as well - from the blue stuff in paint stores to "pro" stuff sold in art stores.  SOme are better than others, but a few can leave a residue that can be very difficult to remove, so I don't recommend those unless you're familiar with them.

charge.jpgThe insignia in the center of this notebook is about 5" x 7" (just the yellow gold part).  I assure you I did NOT "paint" that with latex ;)

Because it's largely "straight", the rope was "masked" (or "frisketed" or "blocked" or "resist"ed) with TAPE (red art supply tape).

And the lettering, which needed to be hand cut for the scroll, was done with... well... that's another time ;)