SheltathaLore

Making a sharpening jig for skiving knives

I own a set of these knives from Lisa Sorrell: https://sorrellnotionsandfindings.com/product/skiving-knives/ , and I adore them - however, I'm still pretty new to sharpening, and I really wish I could find a jig that would work to hold teh angle for me so I don't have to worry about it (also I tend to injure myself when sharpening, doh). 

The angled edge and the bevel on both sides keep typical sharpening jigs from working, so I guess I'll have to make one myself.  I have access to a milling machine and a 3D printer, but I still need to figure out a design - does anyone have any thoughts?

I put a micro-bevel on mine, but I'd be willing to forgo it if necessary.  I use water stones to sharpen.

Skiving-knives1.jpg

They're just a double - sided chisel.  Check out woodworking sharpening guides.  You might find one that will hold it on a skew.  The hard part is going to be finding a way to repeat it for the other side and for the next time.  If nothing else, it's a place to start for figuring out your jig.

Among a host of other ways I sharpen my tools, I bought into a system that a luthier, Brian Burns developed.  His jig allows for extremely acute angles of sharpening.

At last report, he now longer manufacturers the jig but has plans he provides to make your own out of plywood, I believe.

http://www.lessonsinlutherie.com/doublebevelsharpening.html