Sign in to follow this  
Soybomb

rivets for leatherwork

Hey guys, I've never used rivets for leatherwork before and wanted some advice on what rivet to use.

I'm going to pickup a few of these belt clips http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/Graphics/Cata...B1/pages/58.htm and try making some holster with them. I figured I'd just order a bag of rivets cheap from mcmaster carr when I'm ordering some car parts from there.... I have no idea what kind are best suited for this though. It'll be through about 1/4" of leather, and the hole is 3/16". What kind of rivet is the "right way" to do it? Split? Tubular? Jiffy?

Thanks all!

Edited by Soybomb

Hey guys, I've never used rivets for leatherwork before and wanted some advice on what rivet to use.

I'm going to pickup a few of these belt clips http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/Graphics/Cata...B1/pages/58.htm and try making some holster with them. I figured I'd just order a bag of rivets cheap from mcmaster carr when I'm ordering some car parts from there.... I have no idea what kind are best suited for this though. It'll be through about 1/4" of leather, and the hole is 3/16". What kind of rivet is the "right way" to do it? Split? Tubular? Jiffy?

Thanks all!

Whatever you do do not get the L-3193 clips. They fall apart within the first week of use.

Ed

Heh thanks for the heads up. I've been putting off my ordering of clips because I've heard so many bad things about the build strength and quality of most of them, plastic is definately out!

I'm using the Ohio travel bag clip. it's very secure and works well; even locks oto a waistband with no belt without coming off. I have alot of customers who wear it clipped to the waistband with the belt over top of and covering the clip to make it more discreet. To answer your question, I use to use jiffy rivets to secure them; but i am currently using a flat (no prongs) 6/32 1/4 inch t-nut, and a stainless 6/32 1/4 inch button-head allen screw seated in a finishing washer. I think this is a much stronger set-up, and also more versitile allows removal of the clip for replacement should it wear out, or for various styles of clips to be interchanged since I also offer the Comp-tac kydex ones as an option.

I'm using the Ohio travel bag clip. it's very secure and works well; even locks oto a waistband with no belt without coming off. I have alot of customers who wear it clipped to the waistband with the belt over top of and covering the clip to make it more discreet. To answer your question, I use to use jiffy rivets to secure them; but i am currently using a flat (no prongs) 6/32 1/4 inch t-nut, and a stainless 6/32 1/4 inch button-head allen screw seated in a finishing washer. I think this is a much stronger set-up, and also more versitile allows removal of the clip for replacement should it wear out, or for various styles of clips to be interchanged since I also offer the Comp-tac kydex ones as an option.

Hmmm I've been using t-nuts on the back of snaps, I never considered it for the clips, that sounds like a great idea! Sadly it looks like mcmaster carr doesn't sell flat t-nuts any smaller than 8-32 and I'll have to go elsewhere for those but I think its worth it.

Thanks again!