Brianm77

Checkered back

Hey guys,

a couple years ago I bought a side of chrome tanned leather from Tandy.  When I got it home I noticed  kind of a checkering on the back.  Every since I have wondered what it was and what caused it.   I have since seen the same thing from others and still want to know what it is.  I thought I would post here and maybe someone could enlighten me. 

Very hard to say what it is/was without either a photo or more description. My first thoughts are; your piece was the bottom one on a rack, the rack had an open wire frame work so air could circulate, the weight of the other leather on top of yours made the wire rack leave impressions in the rear side of yours. Could have happened at the tannery or main Tandy warehouse or even at their store

If it’s a very fine chequering then most likely it is caused by the mesh screen from a vacuum dryer.

Edited by europelle

On 5/3/2018 at 8:49 AM, europelle said:

If it’s a very fine chequering then most likely it is caused by the mesh screen from a vacuum dryer.

Agreed, it's likely from the tannery from the drying process.  Leather is often dried and stretched on a screen of sorts - sometimes with a vacuum, others just air-dried.

-Bill