Windrider30

Question on sheep skin, and jackets

Ok have a really stupid idea in my head that I want to do, a full bison jacket lined with sheepskin like the old bomber jackets. My question is how many sheep skins should I order as I really do want to use the sheep skin as a liner though winters here in Australia are not THAT cold would still like to be toasty warm in the winter, and sheep skin is easy to find here!!

That depends on the size jacket you are making. Are you (or the person wearing the jacket) a small person or 4XL or larger?

Are you considering lining the arms as well as the body?

If you draw and then cut out your pattern on paper, you could place the cut out pieces on a flat surface to determine the square footage of sheepskin required.

Disclaimer: I have never done this type of project, but this appears IMHO, to be the best way forward. (Unless you want to buy a huge heap of sheepskin and save the leftover's for another project). 

5 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

That depends on the size jacket you are making. Are you (or the person wearing the jacket) a small person or 4XL or larger?

Are you considering lining the arms as well as the body?

If you draw and then cut out your pattern on paper, you could place the cut out pieces on a flat surface to determine the square footage of sheepskin required.

Disclaimer: I have never done this type of project, but this appears IMHO, to be the best way forward. (Unless you want to buy a huge heap of sheepskin and save the leftover's for another project). 

I am honestly thinking about leaving the arms uncovered with sheep skin...and that is a good idea to try and figure out how to figure out the surface that I will need thanks for that..and its for me will be brown bison still have a lot to learn but was wondering how much sheep skin to buy that's the biggest issue

45 minutes ago, Windrider30 said:

I am honestly thinking about leaving the arms uncovered with sheep skin...and that is a good idea to try and figure out how to figure out the surface that I will need thanks for that..and its for me will be brown bison still have a lot to learn but was wondering how much sheep skin to buy that's the biggest issue

What do you think about doing the sheep skin a vest that you can button into the jacket for those really cold days.  When it's not as cold you could just wear the vest or just the jacket. 

2 hours ago, Aven said:

What do you think about doing the sheep skin a vest that you can button into the jacket for those really cold days.  When it's not as cold you could just wear the vest or just the jacket. 

Now that is a damn good idea will have to see if i would still need to line the leather jacket bug that is a really interesting idea!!!