RecoveringA55hole

Switching to W&C Harness Leather - Stamping?

I make a small line of journal and notebook padfolios. Currently I'm using a veg. tanned and dying myself. I want to switch to W&C harness leather for 2 reasons, 1). More consistency with my colors. 2.) Eliminate the dying & finishing process and reduce the total time per project.

My concern is stamping my makers mark on the harness leather? From my understanding, i may need to case the harness with warm water?

I'm currently using a brass face stamp and cold stamping by hand after i case the veg. tanned. I may have to go get a press for put an lasting impression on the harness I'm assuming?

Yes, you can use a 'mark' on it.  But harness is pretty "waxey' -- you might want to consider perhaps a bridle leather, or even drum dyed skirting, which is the same veg-tanned leather but already colored.

http://wickett-craig.com/leathers/skirting/

I only have experience with Wickett's black harness, but in their Traditional selection, the leather does not have much surface wax and takes a pretty good impression if cased up, and it cases up pretty easily.  I haven't seen a lot of difference between their English Bridle and the Traditional Harness. They work up very similarly for me. I think either one would make beautiful padfolios. Their Show Harness has more surface wax and is a stiffer leather.  Strangely enough, Hermann Oak's harness leather is easier to stamp my makers mark in without casing.

That from somebody who certainly uses more harness than me, and likely more bridle than me -- I'd go with that.

But what is an a55 hole? :o

I use W&C skirting exclusively for my commercial work where time is money. Also consistency on reorders is important

They will split skirting to your requirements and their service is first rate!  You can request a swatch set and test your stamp on the various leathers to confirm viability.

Bob

10 hours ago, JLSleather said:

But what is an a55 hole? :o

Did I miss something? Panicked and thought I got sloppy typing or something, but went back and reread my response and I'm lost.  Of course, I am usually the last person to laugh at a joke, so maybe I'm just slow. ;)

Edit:  Hahaha, never mind, I see it now!  I never noticed that, but I told ya I was slow! :lol:

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

:blush:  Well, yeah - that question was for him actually :blush:

23 hours ago, JLSleather said:

:blush:  Well, yeah - that question was for him actually :blush:

Ha, I'm a recovering A**hole. I was assuming if I spelled it correctly, it wouldn't of worked!

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, BDAZ said:

I use W&C skirting exclusively for my commercial work where time is money. Also consistency on reorders is important

They will split skirting to your requirements and their service is first rate!  You can request a swatch set and test your stamp on the various leathers to confirm viability.

Bob

They are sending me a few swatches of their skirting, bridle, and harness leather as of today. Looking forward to trying my stamp on all three.

Let us know what works best.

Bob