doublehbar

Am I the only one?

I am beginning to believe that I attended school on the day of measure once and cut twice. :bike: Working on a different sheath today. It's a right handed sheath and I made sure to label my pattern as to avoid cutting it for a lefty. Don't ask me how I know. I cut it the first time. Thankfully it was cut for a righty, so I had that going for me. Then I realized that I cut the belt loop portion too short. Grr. No biggie. I cut another one. Make sure that I adjust and cut the belt loop larger this time. Awesome. I sand out imperfections on the edges, then bevel, and crease what needs creasing. Meanwhile I am impressed with how much my time and work is improving. I honestly can't believe how fast it's all coming together. Then it happens. I start folding it together to make sure that it is all good. Everything looks great until I realize it is for a lefty. Doh!! So yes folks. I have now cut two sheaths out of my pretty piece of Hermann Oak that I can't use just yet. Hey, look at that. It's 5 o'clock....

19 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

Oh man - I was definitely at school that day too. I feel your pain!

Thank you for raising your hand in solidarity for my moment of shame. lol

Well, I don't want to be found bragging about my less stellar moments, for fear I might WIN, and I just can't bring myself to fall for that AGAIN~ :rofl:

Enough to say that no, you are not alone.

18 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Well, I don't want to be found bragging about my less stellar moments, for fear I might WIN, and I just can't bring myself to fall for that AGAIN~ :rofl:

Enough to say that no, you are not alone.

Oh, come on. Do tell. Help us newbies out. lol

That's how I ended up with a righty and lefty G43 holsters made. Lol since they both sold no biggie and got lucky.

Lucky? I would say so! I am going to hold onto the lefty one in the event someone needs it in the future. As for the righty that I messed up, I will either come up with a way to fix it and use it as a learning experience, or I am going to use it for tooling practice. Either way, it is all a learning experience. Or so I tell myself. lol

I’ll play.  I was made a pattern for a backpack. During the build process I decided to increase the size of a pocket by 2 cm.  I changed the dimensions on my plans except I missed  one place.  I made the pocket piece and realized I missed the change.  Work on something else for a couple minutes.

Go to plans.  Get dimensions. Cut piece.  2 cm short again. How is this happening?  Go to plans confirm I have right dimensions. Yep, exactly the size per plans.  Now I have two short pieces. 

Finally realized I had changed the plans but missed changing the number in one place.  Cut piece again.  By this time the wrong dimensions were firmly engrained in my brain. Cut it short again. Now I’m sitting at bench and laughing out loud and looking at my 3 mistakes.  

4th time was a charm.

Do you need a pocket or 2 for your holster?

I'm pretty much convinced that you simply can not work with leather for very long without making exactly that sort of mistake.  Here's a picture of one of mine.  Notice that the strap for the top center Gomph knife goes opposite the direction of the CSO at the right -  The wrong direction.  Since it's just for me, I didn't re-do it ... at least not yet.

large.IMG_1640.JPG.c3b75b1063caeae2b22c7034e20e64a5.JPG

-Bill

If I had $1.00 for each time I cut something out left hand instead or right hand, or 2 backs and no front, or 2 fronts and no backs ... you get the idea ... I could buy a couple new sides of leather I reckon! :unsure:

9 hours ago, terryHHI said:

I’ll play.  I was made a pattern for a backpack. During the build process I decided to increase the size of a pocket by 2 cm.  I changed the dimensions on my plans except I missed  one place.  I made the pocket piece and realized I missed the change.  Work on something else for a couple minutes.

Go to plans.  Get dimensions. Cut piece.  2 cm short again. How is this happening?  Go to plans confirm I have right dimensions. Yep, exactly the size per plans.  Now I have two short pieces. 

Finally realized I had changed the plans but missed changing the number in one place.  Cut piece again.  By this time the wrong dimensions were firmly engrained in my brain. Cut it short again. Now I’m sitting at bench and laughing out loud and looking at my 3 mistakes.  

4th time was a charm.

Do you need a pocket or 2 for your holster?

:lol: Okay. I am clearly laughing with you here. Great story!

Pockets on holsters and sheaths? Hmm. Might start the next new trend there. lol

7 hours ago, billybopp said:

I'm pretty much convinced that you simply can not work with leather for very long without making exactly that sort of mistake.  Here's a picture of one of mine.  Notice that the strap for the top center Gomph knife goes opposite the direction of the CSO at the right -  The wrong direction.  Since it's just for me, I didn't re-do it ... at least not yet.

large.IMG_1640.JPG.c3b75b1063caeae2b22c7034e20e64a5.JPG

-Bill

Haven't redone it yet would be the keywords. lol I know that I would have let it go at first too and then it would have eaten at me enough that I had to fix it. I am so glad to see that I am not the only one making silly mistakes. Sure hope that I outgrow some of the mistakes soon.

1 hour ago, Rockoboy said:

If I had $1.00 for each time I cut something out left hand instead or right hand, or 2 backs and no front, or 2 fronts and no backs ... you get the idea ... I could buy a couple new sides of leather I reckon! :unsure:

If I had $1.00 for everything I have cut wrong so far, I could at least replace the leather that I messed up yesterday. lol Speaking of leather, time to order more. Sigh.

I belong to this group.  My favorite is cutting out holster lining backwards, after studying the situation, not once twice in a row, Just a couple of days ago. 

Well.... in support of a newbie  doublehbar .........yep , I have done done that .

Another silly " mistook" of mine  in the early days  , I'll be  doing a leatherman type knife case, all is going really well, 

" geez, I'm on a roll here ...nearly finished....wow that was quick .......all  dyed, stitched, burnished , polished...all done....now feeling proud of myself....@#$%^&* !!!!! :bawling:  " ........ I forgot the belt loop !!!! How on earth can I miss that ??? But I did  :oops:  

But now I have the feeling that I AM the only one that has done that :)   

HS 

55 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

I have the feeling that I AM the only one that has done that :)   

Definitely not Robinson Crusoe on that score! My favourite trick is gluing something together before fitting a stud or whatever closure system I am using. Sometimes I can partially dis-assemble the item to get it fitted, and sometimes ... NOT!! @#$%*!! :wacko:

Yep....been there done that :blush: 

I don't want to list too many ' mistooks"....  and I  don't wish to embarrass myself any further  :no: 

O'h well, we can't be perfect all the time eh ??  :thumbsup: 

yep, happens all the time...well not all the time, but sometimes a simple interruption or distraction can cause a missed step or train of though.

In my case  i WAS making something for a lefty, my little brother, I knew he was a lefty but when I set to cutting i had it all laid out and got pulled away.  When I came back i looked at my project made sure it was still folding for a left hand wear.  The unfortunate thing, I was so focused on folding the right way, I forgot about setting the clip for IWB...fortunately this was a test piece to practice dyeing with an air brush for a two tone...and the little bro didn't mind the mistake (free is hard to critique...lol).  After this, i decided to put a small notebook on my bench.  I use it before a project to jot down all the things pertinent to the project and check off steps as I go and use an asterisk or underline when i have to stop in the middle of a project so I don't get out of order or skip a step.

jkrCU6Im.jpgnxZNF6xm.jpg

All of you guys have honestly made me feel so much better. I would love for all of you to tell me that I will quit making mistakes as my skill level increases, but I have a feeling that as I overcome and master certain mistakes, I will just come up with new ones. lol

21 hours ago, koreric75 said:

After this, i decided to put a small notebook on my bench.  I use it before a project to jot down all the things pertinent to the project and check off steps as I go and use an asterisk or underline when i have to stop in the middle of a project so I don't get out of order or skip a step.

I do this sometimes too. Has definitely saved me more than once!

Sometimes you just have to set your project aside when you're annoyed or distracted.  'Sucking it up' and trying to get it done sometimes doesn't work out well.

this thread is inspirational !!!

i like to hang my screwups around my shop as reminders, i have a LOT of stuff hanging.  One of the more painful memories is from my first bandolier when i was just learning to stitch.  30 loops in 3/4 oz stitched to a 2 1/2 inch 9/10 oz strap, all tooled, stained and sealed.  the stitching alone took me 8 hours.  all i need to do now is wet the loops and stretch them to fit .45-70 rounds....  you guessed it, it wouldn't stretch near enough, the more i tried the looser the stitches got until they unraveled. That's when i bought my first seam ripper.  i have 3 now. that little strap with 30 bumps in it has held up well hanging all these years!

this forum is outstanding, whenever i have a question, get stuck, need advice or just inspiration i come here ;)

I'm still looking forward to the first time one of my projects comes out exactly like I had envisioned and intended!

8 hours ago, BadDaditood said:

i like to hang my screwups around my shop as reminders, i have a LOT of stuff hanging.

I have a ' special place' for my screw ups...its  a shoe box and lives under one of my benches , in a dark place, in  a corner with a dunce hat < ...........I made that last bit up :) 

:cowboy: < not a dunce hat 

Needless to say the shoe box is full . 

HS 

13 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

I have a ' special place' for my screw ups...its  a shoe box and lives under one of my benches , in a dark place, in  a corner with a dunce hat < ...........I made that last bit up :) 

:cowboy: < not a dunce hat 

Needless to say the shoe box is full . 

HS 

Shoe box? There isn't a shoe box in the world big enough to hold mine.  Saddle parts are usually fairly large, and take large pieces of leather; My most repeated screw-up has been swell covers.  If they are stamped, it's at least a day's work putting them down and stamping them, maybe more. It makes me very sad to have to take one off and replace it because there is some little nagging mistake, but I have done it, more than once. I have a drawer and a big box for my screw-ups. Maybe a couple big boxes.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:20 PM, doublehbar said:

I am beginning to believe that I attended school on the day of measure once and cut twice. :bike: Working on a different sheath today. It's a right handed sheath and I made sure to label my pattern as to avoid cutting it for a lefty. Don't ask me how I know. I cut it the first time. Thankfully it was cut for a righty, so I had that going for me. Then I realized that I cut the belt loop portion too short. Grr. No biggie. I cut another one. Make sure that I adjust and cut the belt loop larger this time. Awesome. I sand out imperfections on the edges, then bevel, and crease what needs creasing. Meanwhile I am impressed with how much my time and work is improving. I honestly can't believe how fast it's all coming together. Then it happens. I start folding it together to make sure that it is all good. Everything looks great until I realize it is for a lefty. Doh!! So yes folks. I have now cut two sheaths out of my pretty piece of Hermann Oak that I can't use just yet. Hey, look at that. It's 5 o'clock....

Definitely not alone lol

for the short one, could you convert it to a dangler style instead of tossing it?