doublehbar

Am I the only one?

28 minutes ago, Halitech said:

Definitely not alone lol

for the short one, could you convert it to a dangler style instead of tossing it?

That is kinda what I was thinking of doing with it. I wouldn't necessarily toss it anyway. I still have hours of tooling practice ahead of me and am about to add dying to my practice sessions. I create better practice pieces when I am using quality leather. lol

On 5/8/2018 at 6:56 AM, doublehbar said:

All of you guys have honestly made me feel so much better. I would love for all of you to tell me that I will quit making mistakes as my skill level increases, but I have a feeling that as I overcome and master certain mistakes, I will just come up with new ones. lol

Absolutely true, any craft is about failing your way to success and making whole new mistakes!

Did a similar thing myself making a sword scabbard several years ago. Everything was cut out perfectly, the main scabbard part was stitched up and fit the sword perfectly, then when it came time to integrate the belt I realised the slits for the belt to pass through the scabbard were set up for a left hand carry, and I am VERY right handed. Good 8-10 hours work wasted there!

I'm not kidding -- open an idiot contest and I'll WIN.  WAIT .. lemme rephrase that! ;)

I really DO know something about leather.  But it's only because I learn from my mistakes - and I've made a LOT of mistakes. 

Usually the result of doing too many things at one time.  Cut a holster with a pattern.  Flip the pattern over to cut the lining.  Take a phone call.  Back to the bench.  WHERE WAS I?@! OH, yeah... flip pattern for liner ... DOH! :head_hurts_kr:

Edited by JLSleather

I have a wall in my shop with more than a few screw ups hanging. Some leather work, some woodworking. Some drew blood, even a trip or 2 to the ER. I call it the Wall of Shame. I'm hoping the reminders will keep me on my toes. If nothing else it gets a laugh out of others!

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Usually the result of doing too many things at one time.  Cut a holster with a pattern.  Flip the pattern over to cut the lining.  Take a phone call.  Back to the bench.  WHERE WAS I?@! OH, yeah... flip pattern for liner ... DOH! :head_hurts_kr:

Edited 4 hours ago by JLSleather

This, right here!!  Do it too much for too long and it becomes a habit that is hard to break.  It's the reason that people that have never had children seem so structured and organized;  they've never been pulled 27 directions at the same time.

Wow! I disappear for a couple of days and the party goes on without me. My type of people! Lol I am the queen of multi-tasking, note that I didn't say master. I would venture to say that it might not be helping the whole focus thing that is kinda necessary when learning new things. Such is life!

Your for sure not alone! I keep all my mistakes hanging on the wall by my bench so I can remember not to do that. My first belt with a name on it was upside down!! Now I always remember keep the buckle end on the left, lol. Anyone who tells you they don't make mistakes is a liar! 

On 5/9/2018 at 9:10 PM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Shoe box? There isn't a shoe box in the world big enough to hold mine. 

G'Day, I think its time for a bigger shoe box now . Some of my screw ups have been unceremoniously thrown across my work shop , some hitting the wall on the other side,  with a trail of expletives behind it  ,   like a leather  Halley's Comet .  :rofl: 

HS 

7 hours ago, Handstitched said:

like a leather  Halley's Comet 

I have the same 'ballistic leather' in my workshop!

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:24 AM, Handstitched said:

with a trail of expletives behind it  ,

Had one of those just last night.  I brought some English bridle work in the house to stitch up once I had supper in the oven, then the phone rings.  I HATE just sitting and doing nothing else while talking on the phone, complete and total waste of time. So I stitched while I talked listened on the phone.  I was already a little grumpy from an unproductive day, the phone call made me even grumpier, then I realized after I got off the phone that I forgot to stitch the second keeper in on the cavesson.  Lots of expletives then and my teenage son, who already realized that I had just had a less than stellar day, tried hard not to laugh.  But at least that didn't have to go in the box.