JJN

Just Picked up a Pfaff 138 - Time to Get It Sorted Out

I recently got re-interested in sewing because of a machined writing pen project I did last year. I needed a pen pouch as a part of the 'packaging' of the pen. I was in a hurry and ended up getting a domestic serger and it worked out very well. I then started my education on industrial machines on this site. I learned so much. Early on I picked up a couple of class 68 tackers with a Chandler/Bernina 217 with a cam reader. I got the 217 running but knew I needed a walking foot for the bags and notebooks I wanted to make. From the advice here I bought a Juki LU-1541S from Keysew. @Gregg From Keystone Sewing was very helpful and shipped me a beautiful machine, all set up and ready to go at a great price. Thanks Gregg! I kept looking on craigslist and have since found a Consew 206RB. I have been reading on here about the Pfaff 138 and knew I would buy one if if was in nice shape and affordable. Yesterday I found this Pfaff. It was a 600 mile round trip and I got home at 2am but I am really happy with this find. The bonus is it is a 6mm ZZ, hard to find I have read. It has been stored for 5 years so I need to clean and oil. I'll post an update when it is up and running.

pfaff138-1.jpg

pfaff138-2.jpg

pfaff138-4.jpg

pfaff138-5.jpg

Edited by JJN

I can say two things factually : that machine would look better in my shop : )

The other is that machine must have been in a clean corner in its past. Nice find!

good day 

Floyd

@brmax, There is an inventory tag on the legs that tell me it is from Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center in Pendelton, Oregon. It was a psychiatric center. Probably used to repair gowns and bedding.

Wow looks like it's in great shape

Does anyone have a source for the tension assembly for this machine? Pfaff # 91-007655-91. Or is there another assembly that will fit. Maybe other European machines from this period have compatible parts? Otherwise I have found a tension post for the 145 that says it is also for the 138. Can I just press the old broken tension post out and press the new one in?

Edited by JJN

If the tension post has the same parts number it should fit. You can drive out the post from the back side and press in the new one but be careful, I´d put on the nut before you "hammer in" the new post. I have replaced a post on a Adler tension unit that way - worked!

this German Ebay seller salvages parts from old machines, he has lots of 138 parts

http://stores.ebay.de/brleder?_dmd=1&_nkw=138

He may have what you need.