Levins7

Vest Liner

Hey all,

I'm still pretty new to the leather game, but I'm trying to broaden my skillset. I have a half calf skin on order and I'm planning on making my first attempt at a vest with it.  On that note, do you think that is enough leather? Should be about 16sqft total.

Anyway, I'm debating on adding a fabric liner or not. Are there any tips on the best ways to go about adding a liner?

Thanks,

JC

You just sew it in. Hem it anywhere an edge will be exposed and sew it to the leather from there. Are you using a pattern or just shooting from the hip?

I'm still debating between using this layout method: https://wkdesigner.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/vests-make-the-man/

or just trying to find a vest at my local thift store and disassembling it for a pattern.

I see you are in Huntsville.  I am in the Mobile area.  Do you primarily order your leather online or do you have a local store?  There are no local stores that sell anything of size down here.

JC

I'm centrally located 100 miles from Nashville or Birmingham Tandy. I usually end up ordering offline lately. I may go through a side a year so I'm not too upset about a little shipping and unless Tandy is having a sale, it's usually about the same cost with way better leather (Hermann Oak) for online orders through other suppliers. If there is something local I haven't found it. I know there are a few leather stores, one manufacturer and one that basically sells biker clothes, but no supplier to my knowledge.

I was going to suggest a thrift shop for an old vest to use, good thinking ;-)

Edited by battlemunky

Levins, do you have a fabric store near you?  They should have a pattern that would work for you.  Getting the armhole shapes right can be a pain.