Sign in to follow this  
RSimpson

Set up of machine?

Hello all.  I have a problem that so far I am unable to figure out.  I have a Singer 15-90 and am trying to use it to sew some fleece and suede together.  In trying to set up the machine, it will sew through the suede smoothly without any problem except for the tension on the top thread.  It is LOOSE and I can't get it to tighten up.  I am using Gutermann polyester top stitch heavy duty thread both on top and in the bobbin.  I am using a Singer 16/100 leather needle.  

Hi, the problem is possibly that you are using a domestic machine and not an industrial model??

Hi RSimpson,

I think your top tension problem has to due with getting your thread properly sandwiched between the tensioner disks. Before threading make sure your foot tension lever is in the up position, this will release the pressure on the tension disks and allow the thread to seat properly between them. Depending on the size of thread I would set the tension dial to the lowest tension zero on the dial and work up from there. The needle you are using is rated for maximum V69 (Tex 70) thread and depending on how thick the fleece is can create havoc with the needle thread.

kgg

On 5/6/2018 at 4:36 PM, jimi said:

Hi, the problem is possibly that you are using a domestic machine and not an industrial model??

Thanks for the reply.  I know that the 15 is a domestic model, but a lot of industrial's are a basic clone of the 15.  Having said that the amount of fleece and suede are not that thick.  Not only that when I got the tension set for fabric and the top and bottom tension were equal, when I tried to sew just the suede, I got the same results.  I am going to try going back to upholstery thread on top and bottom and see what results I get.

21 hours ago, kgg said:

Hi RSimpson,

I think your top tension problem has to due with getting your thread properly sandwiched between the tensioner disks. Before threading make sure your foot tension lever is in the up position, this will release the pressure on the tension disks and allow the thread to seat properly between them. Depending on the size of thread I would set the tension dial to the lowest tension zero on the dial and work up from there. The needle you are using is rated for maximum V69 (Tex 70) thread and depending on how thick the fleece is can create havoc with the needle thread.

kgg

Hi kgg, thanks for the reply.  I made sure that the thread was properly between the disks.  The thread is smaller than V69 and I have even gone down in needle size to a 14/90.  I still get the same results a top stitch that looks good but is loose on the bottom.  Even when I have the tension adjusted as tight as it will go.  I am going to go to upholstery thread and see what difference that makes.

Hi RSimpson,

What I have found sometimes with the Singer 15 is that the tension in the bobbin needs to be re-adjusted. With the bobbin case out of the machine like you were going to install a new bobbin, hold the thread coming out of the bobbin case and let the bobbin case dangle. If the tension is to loose the bobbin will unravel and the case will fall to floor and to tight the thread will not unwind from bobbin. I like it to hold its position and move slightly when I give it a slight jerk/tug on the thread.  Another thing to try would be to use say V69 as a top thread and one size smaller bobbin thread.

kgg

Edited by kgg