PJ234

Tippmann Aerostitch 90 degree turns?

I recently acquired a neglected Aerostitch, though I don't believe that is the issue. I can't figure out how to make a turn without it missing last stitch and making a 45 degree stitch instead. The only ways I can think of trying are 1) stopping with the needle down, raising the foot and rotating the work or 2) stopping with the needle up (or raising the needle with the needle lifting valve switch). The former gives a 45 degree missed stitch, the latter has potential except with both needle and foot raised, there's nothing accurately locating the work. 

Does anyone know the secret to accomplishing this simple operation?

In what I have seen in videos...

People leave the needle down, raise the presser foot, turn, then lower the presser foot, and continue.

That may be what you tried, but former and latter always mix me up.

Needle should be down, but starting to rise, maybe a 1/4", so the hook has grabbed the top thread so you don't get a skipped stitch.  Don't raise the foot so far that it releases the top tension.  Turn piece 90 degrees and keep going.

Tom

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

In what I have seen in videos...

People leave the needle down, raise the presser foot, turn, then lower the presser foot, and continue.

That may be what you tried, but former and latter always mix me up.

That is what gave me a missed last stitch and a 45 degree stitch line after the turn. 

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Needle should be down, but starting to rise, maybe a 1/4", so the hook has grabbed the top thread so you don't get a skipped stitch.  Don't raise the foot so far that it releases the top tension.  Turn piece 90 degrees and keep going.

Tom

Unless there's something wrong with it or I don't know how to work it properly, the Aerostitch is kind of an on or off affair...needle is either all the way up or all the way down. Same goes for the presser foot.  Am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, PJ234 said:

Unless there's something wrong with it or I don't know how to work it properly, the Aerostitch is kind of an on or off affair...needle is either all the way up or all the way down. Same goes for the presser foot.  Am I missing something?

My comments work for a typical machine.  Never used an Aerostich, and recognize that its operation is mostly on/off type thing.  So I'm not sure how you would manage ensuring the hook has caught the thread before turning.  Look at his video at 4 minutes to see how to turn 90 degrees. 

He also mentions a needle down operation for lining up with a hole or position earlier in the video.  Hope this is of some help to you.  I notice some other videos too but haven't looked at them.

Tom

Thanks much for the video, Tom!  It looks like he used the second method I tried, but I'm not sure how to locate and line everything up after the turn since at that point both foot and needle are off the work. There are several variations of the Aerostitch and unfortunately mine has neither reverse nor the needle positioning feature shown in the video. 

I need to call Tippmann anyway regarding several problems that I need to address, so I'll add this to my long list of questions.