bradkincaid

Increasing snap hold? Solid brass snaps?

I recently purchased some solid brass snaps from an eBay seller and was disappointed in the hold; they come apart too easily for my tastes. Is there a way to increase the hold of snaps?

Alternately, does anyone know of a seller of quality solid brass or copper snaps with decent hold? I see that Dot has a line of Durable brass snaps, does anyone have experience with them?

I prefer a brass or copper finish, and I think a solid snap will age much more elegantly than a plated snap, which will just wear away to a steel finish.

Thanks.

You may have to locate a seller with quantities your intetested in. Sometime this is the kicker. 

With that the Scovil company is a pretty old supplier. I can say with this company the Durable snaps they offer that are plated with nickel are brass based. Or the ones I get in 24 size but they do make a lot. 

Anyway each snap has a spring in it, this wire is brass in color; for regular tension. The tougher snap offered has a bronze color spring, wire color. Now ya know the rest of the story. 

There seems to be many companys now that have some really cool styles and finishes. I am only familar with the above, good luck. 

http://www.scovill.com/products/

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

We produce L24 & L20 in RAW Brass and Brass base with all sorts of color options.  Ant. Brass, Ant. Nickel, and Ant Copper.  Send me an email and I will be happy to send samples to test.

Thanks,

Tim

On 5/7/2018 at 6:24 AM, bradkincaid said:

I recently purchased some solid brass snaps from an eBay seller and was disappointed in the hold; they come apart too easily for my tastes. Is there a way to increase the hold of snaps?

Alternately, does anyone know of a seller of quality solid brass or copper snaps with decent hold? I see that Dot has a line of Durable brass snaps, does anyone have experience with them?

I prefer a brass or copper finish, and I think a solid snap will age much more elegantly than a plated snap, which will just wear away to a steel finish.

Thanks.

I've never seen any solid snaps and I am afraid there isn't...  because it is not the way how they are normally made, you know the processes like drawing and stamping... when it really comes in solid then there must be die-cast.. but I have no idea how it works like a normal brass snaps... but which is for sure that the thicker brass material the factories use to produce the snaps, the more durable the snaps they are and stronger. Since I don't know what type of snaps you're looking for, or maybe you can browse this webpage http://dot-gas.com/garment_snap_fastener_p1.html and get some ideas :) 

KL

Almost all snaps I bought online (guess most were made in china) were rubbish. I figured best snaps are made of solid brass (had a few from OSBORNE). Not plated ones I mean real brass. Unfortunately I do not have  a DOT fastener supplier in Germany (need black snaps only) so I will order in the US from DOT / Scovill next time. Too many failed "experiments" - I think I better buy "proven" stuff.

DOT fasteners is what the US military is using - I think you can´t got wrong with DOT! They also have a PULL THE DOT (not Lift The Dot) snap that hold real (!!!) tight.

Edited by Constabulary

On 7/18/2018 at 10:54 AM, Constabulary said:

Almost all snaps I bought online (guess most were made in china) were rubbish. I figured best snaps are made of solid brass (had a few from OSBORNE). Not plated ones I mean real brass. Unfortunately I do not have  a DOT fastener supplier in Germany (need black snaps only) so I will order in the US from DOT / Scovill next time. Too many failed "experiments" - I think I better buy "proven" stuff.

DOT fasteners is what the US military is using - I think you can´t got wrong with DOT! They also have a PULL THE DOT (not Lift The Dot) snap that hold real (!!!) tight.

good morning,

this is Daniel from C.S. Osborne ........have you had an issue with our snaps in the past? we stand 100% behind our product if ever any issue we always request the customer to return on our freight cost to examine any issues or concerns. you could email me at: cso@csosborne.com

thank you
Daniel
Sales

On 5/6/2018 at 6:24 PM, bradkincaid said:

Thanks.

Good Morning,

hope all is well this is Daniel with C.S. OSBORNE & CO. If you are looking for a STRONG snap and I am not sure what company you got since it was an online purchase.
please email me direct with reference#SNAPS101 and i can provide you samples of a Great product called LOXX FASTENERS

thank you
Daniel
Sales