Hey y'all,

Does anyone have any experience making boot protectors? I was going to take a swing at it for the first time and wondered if there were any tips or tricks as far as durability and fit goes. Couldn't seem to find anything in the forums.

You mean to protect the toe form the black mark?

Yes! It protects your shoe or boot from getting scuffed by the shift lever.

Honestly, the best way Ive found is to use white heat shrink around the shifter, but I suppose you could wrap it with veg tan and do a baseball stitch for a cover.  Sounds fiddly to me, but it would look cool.

The heat shrink thing is interesting, I've never heard of anyone doing that before but its a great idea.

However, something like these pictures is what I meant. Seems pretty straight forward, but I was just wondering if anyone that had experience with a handmade one had any advice.

Obviously leather is probably not the most ideal material for this application, but it sure is cool B)

dsc_7118_1.jpg

tm_oct8-80.jpg_-1.jpg

Edited by LearningCurveLeatherwork

Ahhhhh that is cool. You could do a lot of cool stuff thigh that!  My suggestion goes on the bike itself, not on the boot, but it could work.  Another option would be to make a tongue that hung from the laces somehow so you wouldn't have to stand on the strap holding it on.  

Best-Welding-Boots.jpg

kilty2.jpg

I always wore those skuffs on the left boot with pride back when I rode.  

Cool idea though.  

I think you're on you're own here

I had to look them up. All my motorcycle boots had protectors sewn to the boot vamp. One on each boot, cos British motorcycles have the gear shift on the opposite side of Japanese motorcycles. On my boots it was just a thick piece of leather sewn on. Maybe it was about 2mm thick. Never wore out in several thousand miles of motorcycling

1 hour ago, Pintodeluxe said:

Cool idea though.  

Ah yes, but there's a whole generation of hipsters that don't want to ruin their pretty shoes and drool over hand made goods :P

Oh well, I never say no to an adventure. I guess we'll see how it turns out!

6 hours ago, Pintodeluxe said:

Cool idea though.  

Yep! I have an old pair of riding boots in the closet that 40+ years on them and the scuff is nearly worn all the way thru. Kind of a badge of honor for all the miles on them...and me.

No, it's not leather. But this works well for me. Not meaning to push the brand, just showing  the concept. Could certainly make something similar, and custom fitted, out of leather.

Regards

Michael

X003.jpg

Edited by mmn

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, Pintodeluxe said:

Cool idea though.  

I agree here... but I also agree about seeing a need in the hipster market! Go for it and can't wait to see what happens... and you can even call them "Bespoke Boot Guards" and they will really drool.

3 hours ago, plinkercases said:

I agree here... but I also agree about seeing a need in the hipster market! Go for it and can't wait to see what happens... and you can even call them "Bespoke Boot Guards" and they will really drool.

Maybe but most of what I would classify as hipsters around here don't even wear boots. They're riding around with flip flops and shorts and no helmet because they don't want to mess up their hair man-bun.

6 hours ago, Mark842 said:

Maybe but most of what I would classify as hipsters around here don't even wear boots. They're riding around with flip flops and shorts and no helmet because they don't want to mess up their hair man-bun.

ya... I know... same in Toronto (except must have helmets by law) while on the other end of the scale here we have electric bike riders in pajamas, baseball caps under Styrofoam helmets, with a case of bear between their legs.... smoking with a bungy corded radio playing full blast.. and often a small dog in a box somehow attached....

They are an unregulated, un-insured, unlicensed threat to public safety on the road and sidewalks....but I digress...

Anyone know the name of that stretchy material sewn to the leather?

On 5/10/2018 at 11:01 AM, LearningCurveLeatherwork said:

dsc_7118_1.jpg

By the way, in my quest for ultimate hipster, I came across these boot protectors, which I think could come in handy if you're wearing dress shoes for work, dancing, etc. But as a leatherworker, I think I'd prefer a leather-wrapped shifter.

boot-protector.jpg

Edited by doorty

We just call it - 'elastic, the flat stuff'. aka 'Flat Woven Elastic' available by the yard in many widths in any haberdashery

11 hours ago, fredk said:

We just call it - 'elastic, the flat stuff'. aka 'Flat Woven Elastic' available by the yard in many widths in any haberdashery

Thanks. Looks perfect for sewing to leather for a secure drink holder or flat pocket.

Neat idea. Let us know how it works out.

Next you'll be doing motorcross.

shinguards.jpg