TomG

Removing Chicago Screws

4 hours ago, TomG said:

Not shrinkage.  He said they are coming out.  He resells them, so...

Well, that sinks that theory

19 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

@RockyAussie Found these on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/i/112957220025?chn=ps

Thank you for the trouble @bullmoosepaddles

17 hours ago, Sonydaze said:

The Weaver Leather catalog shows the same tool for $16.95.

Thank you as well @Sonydaze

They look like they could be quite useful at times though perhaps a bit slow and cumbersome to use.

I just use a crepe rubber sheet and lay the belts over and press down into when I do them up. Indeed as @fredk pointed out they do loosen up due to shrinkage so I re-tighten them again at least a day later and normally get another 1/2 turn tighter. Yeah and I don't use any locktite-glue or whatever. :dunno: Made thousands of belts over the years and only had 3 maybe 4 say they came loose. They were many years after the sales and I always been happy to replace for free. Fishy customers soon learn they gotta pay more as well.

DSC08046_resize.JPG

DSC08047_resize.JPG

DSC08051_resize.JPG

I am an airplane mechanic, I use loc-tite all the time. All of our loc-tite has an expiration date after which we throw it out because it loses its ability to hold. I don't think the civilian bottles have expiration dates, but they should.

Was your loc-tite a fresh bottle?

@RockyAussie Man those are some beautiful belts. 

In general, blue is for threads you want to be able to get apart and red is for those you don't. In either case, the tiniest drop is usually enough.

If you do use red, don't use the hi-temp stuff. It's made for, well, hi-temp applications like engines, etc. and is almost impossible to unscrew. The regular red stuff will generally release with heat.

Regards

Michael

Edited by mmn

If heat don't work. Try a hacksaw blade cut the slot a little deeper then with pliers pull it apart or a screwdriver 

10 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

@RockyAussie Man those are some beautiful belts. 

Thanks @bullmoosepaddles. Arnold Schwarzenegger thought one was good enough to buy of the rack when he was down under awhile back. Haven't  heard if he had any trouble with loose screws:P