Does anyone know of a grey leather dye? I have been asked to do a flag piece in grey scale. I have thought of trying to reduce blk dye and see what I get. 

Anyone tried this or know a source?.

Thanks

Vinegaroon.

I can’t remember who suggested this on LW but I tried it and it produced a grey dye.

I purchased steel wool that painters use for sanding paint and a bottle of vinegar. Put a small wad of steel wool into a jam jar and fill it up with the vinegar. Wait for 12 to 24 hours and that’s it.

when I dipped a piece of 4mm veg tanned leather to test it turned a light shade of grey and each time I dipped it in again it turned a shade darker until it turned black.

I slowly dipped dyed a leather belt and it turned a charcoal grey and when I applied neatsfoot oil it turned very dark grey almost black. 

Don’t forget though... if you use this vinegaroon you should neutralize the leather with baking soda.

hope this helps.

Vinagroon is a surefire way - it might take some testing to get it weak enough to produce grey and not black immediately. 

Just one warning : I suggest not to do the backing soda bit - raising the pH much above 4 will start to de-tan the leather. 

I have a blog post about it at

http://www.johan-potgieter.com/ll/?p=148

I have found vinagaroon to be both unstable and unpredictable. I found it lightens over the years. I no longer use it.

I would suggest acrylic paints from the local hobby store like michaels. I have tested their durability and they hold up for years, especially under a coat of resolene. Go for the expensive ones ($.79 a bottle). It's a good as any acrylic leather paint.

Bob

Fiebing's did have a grey - haven't seen it in a good while and they may have discontinued it (?).  Good news is, you can make about any strength of grey you want by reducing black.

Angelus does have a 'grey' and a 'dark grey', but I haven't used either of them so can't really comment on them.  The angelus dyes I have used worked very well, as long as you don't try to mix them with the fiebings.

I also was looking for grey dyes. And yesterday I found it in Japan

It is waterbased. I havent tried it yet. But I ordered it.

I think I will get it in 2 or 3 weeks. 

I will tell about my tests asa soon as I get it.

And here is the link https://leathercrafttools.com/item?id=11165

I`ve got waterstain from Fenice in medium grey, it`s waterbased and I hope I can mix it with Angelus Acrylic Dye in white to get the light grey I need for a handbag a customer ordered.

I dilute black with isopropyl alcohol try on test piece first

I think you can use neutral antique paste with a little black dye mixed in to get gray.  It would take a few tests to get it right I'm sure.

Lineets, did the Japanese dye ever work out?  Thinking of ordering some myself. Thanks!