garypl

Anyone Tried Using These Brushes with Dye or Acrylic Paint?

Saw these watercolor brushes and they look like they might be useful for applying dye or acrylic paint to leather.  Has anyone tried them?  

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Brush-Watercolor-Painting-Lettering/dp/B01F7S9LXG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Gary

Not these specifically, but ones similar to them.  Acrylics don't work very well because they dry out in the bristles and cleaning them is a real mess.  They work great for dyes though.

From what I read it's basically just a water reservoir. Acrylics wouldn't work to put inside it. As Mike said they would dry out.

I would think dyes would do the same, and be a messy cleanup. 

12 minutes ago, Bodean said:

From what I read it's basically just a water reservoir. Acrylics wouldn't work to put inside it. As Mike said they would dry out.

I would think dyes would do the same, and be a messy cleanup. 

I was concerned about these issues too, but thought I would check anyway.  I use these tiny daubers that are about 1/8” in diameter to put dye in small areas of carved leather.  A friend gave them to me and I believe they are used by dentists.

Always looking for new ways to do tasks!

Gary

This type of marker is widely used for spirit dyes. You can only use one per color though.

garypl asked; "Anyone Tried Using These Brushes with Dye or Acrylic Paint?"

Not yet. I didn't know about them until you posted. I'm going to buy some and try them out. I think they may help me in one of my subjects.

18 hours ago, fredk said:

garypl asked; "Anyone Tried Using These Brushes with Dye or Acrylic Paint?"

Not yet. I didn't know about them until you posted. I'm going to buy some and try them out. I think they may help me in one of my subjects.

Let us know how they work out for you!

Gary

57 minutes ago, garypl said:

Let us know how they work out for you!

Gary

I've ordered them from a seller in England. I should get them latter half of next week. It'll be a week or two before I can test them.

What I'm thinking is they might be better than standard brushes when I do game boards. You know the checker pattern on a checkers/chess board. I do the coloured squares by painting in the dye colour with a paint brush. I have to be very careful not let a single drip get on the plain squares. A standard brush needs charging frequently, increasing the risk of a drip, but these might mean I can do the colouring of a square without that

1 hour ago, fredk said:

I've ordered them from a seller in England. I should get them latter half of next week. It'll be a week or two before I can test them.

What I'm thinking is they might be better than standard brushes when I do game boards. You know the checker pattern on a checkers/chess board. I do the coloured squares by painting in the dye colour with a paint brush. I have to be very careful not let a single drip get on the plain squares. A standard brush needs charging frequently, increasing the risk of a drip, but these might mean I can do the colouring of a square without that

Sounds like these will work.  Have you tried taping off the grid and spraying the dye to create the grid?  Not sure if the dye would bleed under the tape, but maybe it would be a good way to create the checkered pattern.

Gary

28 minutes ago, garypl said:

Sounds like these will work.  Have you tried taping off the grid and spraying the dye to create the grid?  Not sure if the dye would bleed under the tape, but maybe it would be a good way to create the checkered pattern.

Gary

No, not tried that way, but I know I can hand do them quicker than getting out my spray brush and setting all that up,  :lol:. I don't like using tape or anything with sticky on it on the good side of any leather. I paint on resolene as a resist on the squares I don't want coloured, but thats not always 100% effective

Not big on nylon.  You can get red sable hair for like a dollar or two more.  Great response, and last near forever if they're cared for.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Not big on nylon.  You can get red sable hair for like a dollar or two more.  Great response, and last near forever if they're cared for.

With respect JLS, I think you're missing the point of these brushes; the handles are reservoirs for fluids. Meant for water in water-colour art I'll try thinned dye in them