Sign in to follow this  
EagleSmith

Simple Black Powder Bag

you'll have to make a road trip to memphis, bring the coffey, i'll build the fire & boil the coffey

then we'll jawbone for a spell.

Yeh, there are a few things you can do, depends on what you have in mind. In fact what I will suggest will take you a little past simple because if you are shotting you will want it functional.

The simplest is to start with a square the size you want to work with. I would radious the bottom corners to what ever suits you. Some people like square corners but I think you get things out of the bottom corners easier when they are rounded.

Now for the sake of patern making, I would use a card stock of some sort, file folders has been a favorite. In fact lets use that as an example, it will help with clarity here.

Using a file folder and the center fold as our fold for the lid of the bag (laying horizontal in front of you) draw your basic shape on the bottom portion to the size and shape you like. We are going to make the back and lid together. The simplest thing to do here is to fold the top down and copy your bottom shape. Fold the top back out of the way and copy the bottom shape to another piece of file folder for the front part of the bag.

At this point you have two pieces, the back and lid are one piece and the front is another.

On the front piece you want to measure in from the top corners each about 3/4"-1".

Mark a line paralel about 1"-2" below the top edge of the front. Cut out this radiused line to lower your top edge of the front which will give you easy access into your bag.

Now you need to choose, you can stitch the front and bottom together as they are or you can opt for more room in your bag and add a gusset 1 1/2"-2" would give you ample room for all your goodies. If you are a trade gunner you will have more goodies than most and may want to add an inside pocket as an option as well.

If you want this inside pocket, attatch it before attatching the front and bottom.

Measure a piece the width of the bag and about 4" wide. Say your bag is 8" wide, this pocket piece will be 8"x4". When it is applied to the inside of the back you can bring in the edges of the pocket about 1/2" on each side and stitch the two outside edges of the pocket. This will give you some puckers to deal with as you stitch the bottom of the pocket to the back. This is just a simple way to have some room in the pocket to make it usefull for smaller items that may get lost in the big part of the bag. You may also want to run a stitch down the center of the pocket if you want to devide it.

Now you need to cut your shoulder straps, you decide the width, 2" is average but it demends on your leather and how it feels on your sholder.Decide where you want the bag to hang and cut your straps accordingly. I say straps because you will want some adjustment so you will want a short one and a long one tha makes up the aproximate length you need. They will overlap and lace together to make the loop.Each end of the shoulder strap will attatch to the outside, back of the bottomjust below the where the lid folds. This may need to be done before the inner pocket is stitched in. Depends on which will interfere with the other depending on their placement, so lay it out before you stitch.

Lay the front piece on the back piece and mark the top corners for a reference for a attatching the front or gusset later.

For a nicer look when attatching the front to the bottom, I would put the face side of the front against the outside of the back(yes it's backwards) stitch them together then turn the bottom and front inside out which will expose the outsides of the front and bottom and turn the stitched edge to the inside giving a nicer look.

If using a gusset, measure the distance around the edge of the front piece, one corner to the other. Add a couple inches and trim after it is stitched in place.

The short version

1. Determine the size and cut out your patern pieces.

bottom and lid one piece, front one piece, srtap two pieces, inner pocket one pice optional, and gusset one piece optional. Gusset can be more than one piece if you need to stitch pieces together to get the length you need.

3.Lay out pats on hide for the best use of the hide.Mark and cut leather.

4. lay pieces together and check alignment.

5. stitch on strap and inner pocket as they allow.

6. Stitch bottom to back, or if using gusset, stitch gusset to the front piece starting at one corner working around to the other corner. Place the corner that is even with the corner on the matching mark that you made earlier on the back piece and stitch to the back as with the front.

For the nicer look you can doe this inside out, that is, before stitching the gusset to the back, turn the gusset and front inside out and so the you have outside facing outside.Stitch the gusset to the back, then turn right sides out.

If you are using tooling or strap hide you will need to the leather fairly wet to turn inside out and work the corners smooth. Most chap hides will turn dry. I will post or PM you some drawings later (gotta go to work).

Any clarification needed, just ask. Have fun.GH

Shoot_Bag.jpg

post-5156-1201880963_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hidemechanic

you'll have to make a road trip to memphis, bring the coffey, i'll build the fire & boil the coffeythen we'll jawbone for a spell.
Hey Luke...that dog might hunt. We'll see. Do you have a shop or work from home? We're not too far from you.Peace,TJ Edited by EagleSmith

I don't know what in the world I did here but my replies look really weird. Maybe it just looks that way to me. Anyway, Hidemechanic thanks so much for the info. I believe we can do that.

Peace,

TJ

I have learned more on this forum about leather than from any other source. It is really great that a person can ask a question and get such detailed answers, from a membership that is more than happy to share their knowlege. I like the fact that if I want attempt an item I can find pics, ask some questions and just let the creative jucies fly, ain't leatherwork grand.

Jordan, it's a blast isn't it?

Funny thing is I just had an old buckskin buddy get hold of me yesterday, said he picked up one of my bags off a prize blanket years ago and his neighbor saw it and had to have one, so I have to dig through my pats and hides and make one for him.

Since I don't get to post much of my work I'll add a couple shots he sent me. This one is worn on the belt usually by trade gunners. It has three compartments for cards and wads. Makes it easier for loading on the trail. We need a happy face av with a coon skin cap. :cheers: but drinkin buds will do. GH

card_pouch_1.jpg

card_pouch_2.jpg

post-5156-1201903444_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1201903507_thumb.jpg