archeryrob

Need ideas for deer hide sheath

I made a small skinner knife that I was to use with my hunting pack. It's scaled with Cherry burle I was able to save and saw out myself and I want to make a sheath for it from stuff I have killed. I have deer hides I am going to oil tan and I know deer is kind of weak. I thought about lining it with a raw hide and I have deer rawhide and if Need be I'll kill a groundhog and raw hide it out for it. I just find more enjoyment from making everything myself.

I can't find anything on here that still have pictures and nothing online similar to what I thought of doing. I figured someone on here would know exactly what I should do or have a better plan from their past experiences.

I have a piece of veg tanned cow hide, but I just do not wish to use it or buy the punch tools for it. I'd love to hear some suggestions, thank you.

Small Skinner 5.jpg

Nice knife. I have seen rawhide knife sheaths before and the are perfectly serviceable. I have also seen them covered with hair on hide. I think they look good and as far as I know have good retention if done right! You would still want to include a welt.

I will not be doing any hair on stuff right now. I used to always save the leg skins for bow rests because the hair is so short. Might make a nice knife case also.

I am surprised no one really has much for suggestions. Maybe I have to search out the primitive forums.

Not deer hide, but something close. I did this one today, based on the really old one.

32585740_1673032639411550_6188747328904495104_n.jpg

Good match for authenticity. I like the textured leather. Is that embossed somehow, by factory or yourself? What is the leather?

15 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Good match for authenticity. I like the textured leather. Is that embossed somehow, by factory or yourself? What is the leather?

That is a piece of milled leather, veg tanned and very flexible, but also toolable if needed.

I have seen primitive style sheaths made from dog rawhide bones.  The rawhide was soaked until it was pliable.  Because pieces were so thick he would stretch it flat and let it dry.  Then he sanded it if I remember correctly to thin it.  When it was as thick as he wanted it, it was soaked again and formed over a mold to dry.  Some were left plain, so had designs pressed into it while it was drying.  Natural dyes were used to stain it.  Bones, stones, hair, teeth, and what not to decorate it. 

Edited by Aven
Can't spell

I made one out of a scrap of tanned cow hide i have. I still need to tan my deer hides and don't have time to kill and rawhide out groundhogs right now. I put the entire process here, maybe one of you guys can tell me what I should do different next time or suggestions for the next one. That's waxed dacron bow string for stitching there. :)

Sheath 16.jpg

Edited by archeryrob

You can "fake it" a bit too with veg tan leather, a bucket of warm water, gravel pile and a 3 lb paver stone (or orther suitable heavy object) plus stain of your choice. Here are a couple I did for my necker knife (3" blade) and a bear jaw handled knife (7.5" blade). Stitched with artificial sinew,

RIP Bear Jaw 01.jpg

Rustic Sable 01.jpg

On 5/19/2018 at 12:23 PM, JRLeather2 said:

That is a piece of milled leather, veg tanned and very flexible, but also toolable if needed.

I have  apiece 6 oz milled and was wondering what to do with it.

Did you wrap it around a liner to give it some body?

14 hours ago, Instinctive said:

I have  apiece 6 oz milled and was wondering what to do with it.

Did you wrap it around a liner to give it some body?

I wrapped it around a piece of veg-tan 8-10 oz, I hope the picture makes sense...

33299656_10211957039224954_8266326553051267072_n.jpg

7 hours ago, JRLeather2 said:

I wrapped it around a piece of veg-tan 8-10 oz, I hope the picture makes sense...

33299656_10211957039224954_8266326553051267072_n.jpg

Thanks. That is very clear.