wheeldawg

Making an impression

Hello folks. I am very new to working with leather, and may be using the wrong terminology. I searched for impression and relief, and could not find what I was looking for. I want to tool down an area of leather to end up with a raised (untouched) impression in the piece of leather, that will be a name. I have a lot of stamp tools that I got from my brother, and have many of them that are smooth-faced, so I assume that is what they are used for, and know I could be completely wrong. LOL. Ay help would be appreciated.

Thanks

What you describe is what we call carving and 'tooling'

There are literally hundreds of variations of tools for 'tooling' leather. If you can post up pictures of the working ends or the number on the handle if there is one. With those we can tell you what the tool is, what its for and how to use it

14 minutes ago, wheeldawg said:

Hello folks. I am very new to working with leather, and may be using the wrong terminology. I searched for impression and relief, and could not find what I was looking for. I want to tool down an area of leather to end up with a raised (untouched) impression in the piece of leather, that will be a name. I have a lot of stamp tools that I got from my brother, and have many of them that are smooth-faced, so I assume that is what they are used for, and know I could be completely wrong. LOL. Ay help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You could purchase an eBook from Tandy that describes the use of several tools.  https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-1141-leathercraft-tools-by-al-stohlman.aspx There a a number of other helpful books there too.

Tandy and YouTube have a lot of videos describing tooling and how to do it.  If you are close to a Tandy store, you could check to see when they have free tooling classes.

Tom

Thanks for the replies folks. I have not had a chance to look at the tool numbers yet, but I will and post back. I will definitely check out the book too. I already have the Grant book and many others, as I am a book person and love to read to learn, which is why I lurk here so much!. LOL.

Thanks again.

OK. The tool numbers are

T944,  B203,  P703,  B997, B60,  and P206. Those are the smooth ones. I have about 150 others, and have them noted in a spreadsheet as to what they are as far as pattern, but not finished with that yet. Yes, I am OCD. LOL. Anyway. I’ll attach a picture of what I am attempting to do. Thanks for the help and advice!

CD4C7E4A-E6D6-4548-9350-058BF53B230D.jpeg

B numbers are Bevelers, B60 is unusual as its an under-cut beveler. Use these around the edge of the letter, the thick part against the line

P numbers are Pear shaders, they'll all be a pear shape, used mostly in flower work

T944 I can't say as that number is no longer made or the T doesn't match any of the system letters.

Use the pictures here on LePrevo's site for seeing each stamp. Its better than Tandy's for the design of the stamp, but doesn't give actual sizes

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/carving-tools.htm

Edited by fredk

Awesome!  Thanks for that. I attached pics of T944

89243FCB-2A7F-487D-9C2E-B756637CACCF.jpeg

0F70115D-0403-4CEA-A3DD-E43212869FC0.jpeg

The T series are no longer made by Tandy. They are Turnbacks. I will post some examples of how they are used when I get to the shop.

6 hours ago, JRLeather2 said:

The T series are no longer made by Tandy. They are Turnbacks. I will post some examples of how they are used when I get to the shop.

I'm also interested in seeing that

I hope this makes sense. 

32643467_1674136595967821_5238522304706641920_n.jpg

32844009_1674136559301158_3264820790213738496_n.jpg

32602555_1674136532634494_4813099587810099200_n.jpg

32747569_1674136479301166_3127032604360966144_n.jpg

Edited by JRLeather2

oh, a most useful shader type

@JRLeather2 In your example of the turnback you are using the tool tilted so only the toe portion is making the impression, if i am correct?

1 hour ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

@JRLeather2 In your example of the turnback you are using the tool tilted so only the toe portion is making the impression, if i am correct?

Yes, Sir.

thank you for taking the time to show us those tools

Thanks for all that info. Very helpful.