RichardPorley

19th century Hugo Werteim shoe patcher

WOW :jawdropper:Jeeps mate don't do that to it ifn you want to use it I mean. That looks like its worth more as a non going item I reckon. Imagine having that in a antique shop or a sewing machine sales business or.....Are you opening a shop maybe?.

No, no shop for me, (it would look good in your shop but), I just love restoring old stuff,  imagine all that you said and then imagine it working, :yeah:this machines were made to be used, as you can see not even years of neglect  will kill them,

and  is only a bit of paint and some leisure time painting it, hehe!!

Peter the guy I bought the machine from,(we have become good friends because of it, I keep him up to date with the resto), saw what he thinks was the one in the photo or it could have been a similar one for sale for $20,000, he doesn't know if it sold or not,

that's not my intention, I just want to use it and admire my handy work:lol:, I'm sure the kids will sell it first chance they'll get, haha.

Hi guys, Still working on the base, but had a break and after a lot of failures, finally  made the decal right for the wheel, I think it is a bit too bright,:unsure: but am not changing it now!! all done and clear coated, 

base should be painted this coming week end,

thanks for looking,

Richard

20180627_175630.jpg.491969f4cbaaa1907b9e1d412ab8bf45.jpg

Very pretty Richard. Thanks for posting the pics they are Hugo Wertheim. Sorry couldn't resist :P

Nice!  Many colors we think should be more muted were actually much brighter when new - we're just conditioned to seeing old faded examples

9 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Very pretty Richard. Thanks for posting the pics they are Hugo Wertheim. Sorry couldn't resist :P

Sorry mate that one went over my head, please explain:P

Richard

5 hours ago, DonInReno said:

Nice!  Many colors we think should be more muted were actually much brighter when new - we're just conditioned to seeing old faded examples

Thanks Don, Yes you are right, don't know what it is but some how those colors remind me of the  Tom Hanks movie Big , Zoltar Speaks wish machine, but there is no similarity what so ever, go figure :huh:

Richard.

Lol - yep, each time a pic of the machine pops up I'll think Zoltar now! 

Hi folks, it's taken longer than planned, but slowly getting there, almost done now, should be up and running this weekend, here are a couple of pics of the progress on the stand, had to somehow match the stand with the machine, did not know how I was going to do that as the stand has a lot of gold and copper highlights, and suddenly had a light bulb moment, and here it is :)  

Thanks for looking,

Richard.

20180708_173026.jpg

20180712_181154.jpg

20180715_121708.jpg

20180715_121743.jpg

gorgeous!!!!!

glenn

I am so pleased when someone reclaims an old machine and restores from a pile of scrap metal.  lots of work and a labor of love.

glenn

Thank you Glenn, that means a lot to me, I already have a couple of projects planned for it, I will let you know how it goes,

Richard.

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

Could you post some pictures of the complete unit when set up? :)

Sure, just finished it today :yeah:, although it works with that thin belt, I intend to get a thicker one next week,

Richard.

20180721_154754.jpg

20180721_154835.jpg

20180721_155337.jpg

20180721_154719.jpg

20180721_155028.jpg

Edited by RichardPorley

Love the stand.   It's beautiful.   Really nice job bringing it all back to life.

What an amazing resto job! Can't even begin to imagine the number of hours you have into that project. I hope you enjoy every stitch you make on it.

kat

13 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Love the stand.   It's beautiful.   Really nice job bringing it all back to life.

Thank you very much, :)

Richard.

11 hours ago, blue duck said:

What an amazing resto job! Can't even begin to imagine the number of hours you have into that project. I hope you enjoy every stitch you make on it.

kat

thank you, lots of hours of pure enjoinment :yeah:

and may God smile on you too every day,

Richard.

On 28/06/2018 at 6:01 PM, RichardPorley said:

Sorry mate that one went over my head, please explain:P

Richard

Hugely Wertheim .......all those hours  of beautiful restoration. Congratulations :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Hugely Wertheim .......all those hours  of beautiful restoration. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Haha!! now I've got it, thanks mate,

it was worth it, 

Found another one in Sydney, complete and working, in case  you are interested,;)

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gladesville/sewing-machines/rare-patent-elastic-industrial-leather-sewing-machine-before-s/1185521804

Richard.

Edited by RichardPorley

Excellent job!..

Love the red highlights!

I'm sure glad this made it back to the top.  I missed this thread until now.  Beautiful job on the restoration!

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your comment, your restoration was the inspiration for this, loved the combination of the gold and copper colors you did with yours, so had to copy it,  I thought the red was a bit much but kind of like it now:) do you still have yours?

Richard

49 minutes ago, rodneywt1180b said:

I'm sure glad this made it back to the top.  I missed this thread until now.  Beautiful job on the restoration!

Thanks Rodney, glad you like it, I could not let it die in a pile of rust;)

Richard.

Richard, I'm planning on tearing down a Landis 1 this winter and restoring her. It's a good working machine already that is all there but it sat for 50+ years and is all gunked up. Just curious what kind of paint you used for the black.

Hi Richard

Yes still have it.

Have an issue with a missing part within the lever arm which governs the stitch length - was working when I purchased it but for the life of me it's just gone :blink:.

And I have forgotten what it looks like -lol! ..

So any photos would be gratefully appreciated of the arm end where it is actuated by a cam - there is meant to be something between spring tab and the main arm. I'll post a photo later if this doesn't make sense.

8 hours ago, Mark842 said:

Richard, I'm planning on tearing down a Landis 1 this winter and restoring her. It's a good working machine already that is all there but it sat for 50+ years and is all gunked up. Just curious what kind of paint you used for the black.

Hi Mark, I used gloss Black Rustoleum spray paint, is a thicker paint than standard spray paints, and is  fast drying, worked great for me as I hate waiting for the paint to dry:P

Richard 

8 hours ago, gordond said:

Hi Richard

Yes still have it.

Have an issue with a missing part within the lever arm which governs the stitch length - was working when I purchased it but for the life of me it's just gone :blink:.

And I have forgotten what it looks like -lol! ..

So any photos would be gratefully appreciated of the arm end where it is actuated by a cam - there is meant to be something between spring tab and the main arm. I'll post a photo later if this doesn't make sense.

That's great,  I don't think I will ever part with mine, is this the part  you mean? 

Richard.

20180505_153337.jpg.6269e1181119720d229afec0767c87d4.jpg

Edited by RichardPorley
spelling