chrisash

Using natural veg tan what protection

Making a wallet using Natural veg tan; and before i start, i wondered what i can use to protect the leather, so the natural light colour is not marked but still remains very soft

Don't these small thing,s you never thought of when you started, add up, a set of basic tools you budget for, but after that it seems spend , spend, spend for all these little things like, a small bottle of dye, some thinner thread, a bit of this or that.

Not sure if its a leather hobby, or a spending hobby

Hi

Common folk someone must look after their natural Veg tan to stop it getting marked in use, its just a wallet that will soon get dirty in and out of a pocket,

Would resoline do the trick or some other item applied with still allows the colour to remain, yet keep greasy finger marks off

4 hours ago, chrisash said:

Hi

Common folk someone must look after their natural Veg tan to stop it getting marked in use, its just a wallet that will soon get dirty in and out of a pocket,

Would resoline do the trick or some other item applied with still allows the colour to remain, yet keep greasy finger marks off

Resolene will provide protection and should not darken the leather much.  Try on a scrap piece first to ensure you like the look.

Gary

or bag-kote if you want a more matte finish.

Both Resolene and Bag Kote will not darken the leather much and prevent it from getting dirty too fast. However, even with these products applied your leather will get patina and wear over time, which isn't always bad in my opinion. I'm not aware of a product that prevents darkening of the leather over time.

Thanks folk

How is Bag Kote applied and what is its main purpose