EvanBrent

Plans for a leather splitter?

Hi everyone, does anyone have any plans or drawings for a leather splitter, I see the motorised ones are really expensive, so was thinking about having a friend who does mtal work build me one, certainly it would save on shipping etc... I know this is a long shot, but maybe someone has something they were planning on building, would love to get some drawings.

There are a few plans on YouTube, but having tried a few they don't work very well. A machinist may be able to make something better from those ideas.

I started down this path as well, but ended up getting a good deal on a Tandy pro splitter... Still have a set of planer blades in the drawer, may get them out one day when I feel like tinkering

Somethings you just have to eventually bite the bullet and buy. 

Once you have, you wonder how you managed without them.

Mutt has it right. I spent the money for a Heritage splitter and I find it one of my most used tools. It helps get the most value from your leather. For example, I can match the leather and use scraps to make straps for a saddle or accessories by splitting skirting vs cutting straps from separate side   --John