BattleAx

Waxed Canvas Bags With English Bridle Straps

I sew up these bags with a Cowboy CB-4500 that I got from Bob over at Toledo. I use #277 thread with the heavy waxed canvas this machine is great for all my heavy leather and canvas work. I just got a Consew 225 for the light leather work and binding the inside of some of my lighter canvas bags. I have a binder  from Tennessee Attachment for the Consew this is a great company if you are looking for any kind of attachments for your machines. The leather on the bags is English Bridle from Wickett & Craig very nice leather.

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

Those look really nice.  I've been dreaming to make this type of bag for some time... maybe I'll get time in the near future!

YinTx

Nice work on the bags!  What type canvas did you use?  I went to local fabric store and the only canvas type material they had was duck cloth, and it seemed very lightweight to me.

Gary

Hi garypl 

I get all my waxed canvas from Fairfield Textile they are in PA. The waxed canvas is # 10 Duck Martexin Original Wax "Plain Weave. I get all my Waxed Canvas from them they have been in business for 80 + years. There website http://fairfieldtextile.com/fabrics.html.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, BattleAx said:

Hi garypl 

I get all my waxed canvas from Fairfield Textile they are in PA. The waxed canvas is # 10 Duck Martexin Original Wax "Plain Weave. I get all my Waxed Canvas from them they have been in business for 80 + years. There website http://fairfieldtextile.com/fabrics.html.

Thanks

Thanks for the info!

Beautiful bags, look like they’ll last two lifetimes, and thanks for the link to your source. 

Super bags, elegant, bullet proof and very salable. Great idea and a very nice meld of the waxed cotton and harness leather. 

Bob

Agree.  Very nice work.  How many hours do you estimate? 

Don

14 hours ago, diibbles134 said:

If you don’t mind me asking what do you sell your bags at price point wise, I find that the hardest for myself is proving my work

Hi dibbles,

I sell the bags for $160.00 + $17.85 for shipping. I have an etsy shop and a website. 98% of my sales are on etsy the website doesn't do much.

Thanks

On 5/20/2018 at 11:32 PM, Silverd said:

Agree.  Very nice work.  How many hours do you estimate? 

Don

Hi Don,

The bag takes about 4 to 5 hours. If I have multiple orders and don't have to change the color thread the bags take about 3  hours. 

Thanks

wow, that's super cool!!!

Very nice!  I like the use of copper rivets too.  I use them on the bags I make as well.  Customers seem to like them!  Thanks for posting!

I like it.  very nice bags. 

Those bags are great.  Thanks for showing them off, this is the kind of stuff that I joined this to see.  It helps to inspire people.  Thanks again

Great job. I really like those bags.