karlova

Are girls allowed? :P

@karlova

Firstly, welcome to the forum & secondly I really like your daysack & accessories wallet, aweome.

There's no better pride, well being and pride in designed, crafting and seeing the finished product.

8 hours ago, Old Coach Saddlery said:

Lovely work. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you! :)

3 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Youtube is your friend! There are some good videos about setting and finishing them. Also, those posts are bad little posts and need to be beaten into submission. I love the rivets but I hate the racket I make while doing it. It's a pleasure to me but I imagine my wife sees it as more of a punishment. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap x20, nope, not done yet, tap, tap, tap, tap x 20, nope, not quite there, tap, tap, tap. Part of my problem is that my bench isn't super solid so I make a ton of racket beating them into a nice place.

Grab a scrap piece of leather and beat on one until you get it figured out. It's deceivingly simple but you gotta get through the first one.

Thanks, you inspired me to try again :) I watched a few videos before I ordered the rivets but everything seemed so easy there LOL. Leather work isn't the most quiet hobby in the world. I guess I might haven't left enough post this time but it holds anyway - I made a quick tobacco pouch and riveted the strap. Well, not a perfect job but it holds :D I didn't manage to round it with the setter.

IMG_1871.thumb.jpg.459ad97f845517eacdd6b6546ae57f8a.jpg

1 hour ago, Orangeleather said:

@karlova

Firstly, welcome to the forum & secondly I really like your daysack & accessories wallet, aweome.

There's no better pride, well being and pride in designed, crafting and seeing the finished product.

Thank you ;) That's true, it's such a special feeling, and looks like I'm well addicted to it! Just can't stop stitchin'

I usually don't get as nice of a rounding from the setter and end up peening the ever living hell out of it anyway. I still try every time but it never get round enough with just the setter tool. Mine look like yours does; a nice hammered look.

4 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I usually don't get as nice of a rounding from the setter and end up peening the ever living hell out of it anyway. I still try every time but it never get round enough with just the setter tool. Mine look like yours does; a nice hammered look.

Probably it can get nice and rounded only on a Tandy Leather youtube video LOL!!! I like the rustic look anyway so I'm fine with that I only need to find another place for banging because when I do it on the boat, the whole boat shakes and screws are falling out of everywhere

G'Day  and welcome from ' upside down land', aka Australia :) 

Love your work and  the use of the herringbone stitch on the carry bag with alcohol warning, I've only rarely used that stitch...and the lovely dog is very photogenic . My dog is 'photo-impatient'  . 

In Australia, you won't need alcohol warnings...Ha !! 

HS

17 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day  and welcome from ' upside down land', aka Australia :) 

Love your work and  the use of the herringbone stitch on the carry bag with alcohol warning, I've only rarely used that stitch...and the lovely dog is very photogenic . My dog is 'photo-impatient'  . 

In Australia, you won't need alcohol warnings...Ha !! 

HS

Hellooo thanks from me and Bonny (the dog)! :) I a a bit concerned about this stitch as it is only as strong as the threads are, I wouldn't use it if it's supposed to take significant loads...  But looks cool huh :)

do you guys have that issue too, like, when you make something for yourself and then you're not sure if you wanna keep it or sell it and you ending up selling it ;) because well you can make more and you got some new leather LOL!

This is what's about to happen to my backpack because there's some really nice leather coming pretty soon and I'm not sure if I am to keep this one or make myself a new one.... like errrrr.... well... why not :D 

...and I can make it with the normal rivets :P (copper burr ones)

Edited by karlova

I think hand stitching will look nicer than rivets, but thats  just me . 

6 hours ago, karlova said:

do you guys have that issue too, like, when you make something for yourself and then you're not sure if you wanna keep it or sell it and you ending up selling it

Not so much for myself, but I made a cartridge belt for a client (also a friend) ,  a re-creation of a ' western style' cartridge belt , for use with shot gun( 12 gauge)  cartridges  with the intention of it actually being used , only to find out  that he's put it on display in his house because he thought it was too nice use.  

Doh !!  :)

HS 

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I think hand stitching will look nicer than rivets, but thats  just me . 

Not so much for myself, but I made a cartridge belt for a client (also a friend) ,  a re-creation of a ' western style' cartridge belt , for use with shot gun( 12 gauge)  cartridges  with the intention of it actually being used , only to find out  that he's put it on display in his house because he thought it was too nice use.  

Doh !!  :)

HS 

hahaha yes I got some customers who hesitate to use my stuff because it's too nice :D 

Hello again everyone! :) I have a happy day today - my stamps have finally arrived! Now I will stamp everything LOL

I've written my logo on paper, scanned it, traced it in Illustrator (auto trace and then some manual cleanup) and ordered them in two sizes, 2" and 1" wide which was a great idea actually. 

5b0c45f83798e_IMG_1428copy.thumb.jpg.c10cd2eb18dca8e504c97783c6a5bbc6.jpg

33642816_2148226051871036_7181650068733165568_n.thumb.jpg.0d3fb5cf7d74796aacd90dbf80ddaf99.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

Stamp looks great!  Who made it?

Gary

16 minutes ago, garypl said:

Stamp looks great!  Who made it?

Gary

The design is mine, the production is theirs: ;) https://www.etsy.com/listing/271602607/custom-leather-stamp-heavy-duty-variable?ref=shop_home_active_2

Edited by karlova

So, I thought my stamps need a cozy storage roll, and I made one. I've never made any tool rolls before, thought that would be easy, it actually was, but I don't know if the folding flap is good or should I make a seam on top of it? or cut the edges shorter? any ideas? ;) 

IMG_1892.thumb.jpg.1d406b83c116a37edf52bef719beb233.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1894.thumb.jpg.f4a0a1c4a2b329fd69da9a87f0db5e7c.jpgIMG_1890.thumb.jpg.8d5f6117d3e4e886e99d9a4ff02363be.jpg

it looks nice on wood, too :)

33863932_2148300895196885_8329506780400844800_o.thumb.jpg.42b938734db587aa95d3f2332d32261e.jpg

All amazing stuff and I agree the dog hat and booze bag are stand outs!!!

3 hours ago, plinkercases said:

All amazing stuff and I agree the dog hat and booze bag are stand outs!!!

thank you :):):)

You seem to be  like a kid with a new toy, and couldn't wait to use it, stamping your name on everything :)  But it is nice. 

I used to have such nice hand writing, but these days its just  nondescript ' scribbledeegook' .  HA !! 

HS 

11 hours ago, Handstitched said:

You seem to be  like a kid with a new toy, and couldn't wait to use it, stamping your name on everything :)  But it is nice. 

I used to have such nice hand writing, but these days its just  nondescript ' scribbledeegook' .  HA !! 

HS 

Well that's true too, but actually I was testing the stamps on different leather scraps to see how the impression looks and how much time it's needed etc etc. 

My normal handwriting is pretty ugly, it's just that my other hobby is calligraphy :D 

Didn't know what to make but wanted to stitch something, so I made a tote bag

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

There are two types of people who leave the leather edges, and rough areas on their work.   Those who have no idea how to do it right, and those who know exactly when to leave something untouched.

Your backpack, and other items show you fall into the latter category.    Everything is left worn or uncut to just the right amount, and to what pleases the eye.

As to stabbing yourself with a blunt needle, welcome to the world of the biting tools, where even the cute and seeminly harmless ones will try to take a finger off, given the opportunity. :lol:

12 minutes ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

There are two types of people who leave the leather edges, and rough areas on their work.   Those who have no idea how to do it right, and those who know exactly when to leave something untouched.

Your backpack, and other items show you fall into the latter category.    Everything is left worn or uncut to just the right amount, and to what pleases the eye.

As to stabbing yourself with a blunt needle, welcome to the world of the biting tools, where even the cute and seeminly harmless ones will try to take a finger off, given the opportunity. :lol:

LMAO!!! :lol:

Thank you, yep I even got edge paint now, and I tried it on scraps, but I still like it raw! Maybe on some other items where it would be appropriate, depending on the designer :D 

My round knife is expected to arrive on Monday. Now THIS is scary!!! I was always afraid of sharp objects... I was laughing at the seam ripper manual which said "don't put your fingers in the way of the seam ripper" or something like that, like, "thank you, Captain Obvious". Until I got the seam ripper under my nail somehow. Well, I was not following the manual, duh. 

Now, I've carefully read Stohlman's manual on the round knife... :blink::wacko::rolleyes2:

One of the reasons I will wear a vinyl glove when stitching is that it gives me time to deal with stabs and jabs without the blood getting on the work!!

as has been said your work is intentionally and beautifully "rough"...and my goodness how heavy is the hammer you use to peen your copper rivets? are you using a purpose built setting/peening tool or just bashing away.. I have never seen them flattened like that and again... looks kinda cool!

make sure your head knife is sharp as with all knives if its dull you push harder and it will tend to go its own way and if god forbid it bites you it is always better to get a nice clean sharp knife cut than a dull hack. practice on lighter stuff before tackling anything heavy and curvy.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:42 AM, plinkercases said:

One of the reasons I will wear a vinyl glove when stitching is that it gives me time to deal with stabs and jabs without the blood getting on the work!!

as has been said your work is intentionally and beautifully "rough"...and my goodness how heavy is the hammer you use to peen your copper rivets? are you using a purpose built setting/peening tool or just bashing away.. I have never seen them flattened like that and again... looks kinda cool!

make sure your head knife is sharp as with all knives if its dull you push harder and it will tend to go its own way and if god forbid it bites you it is always better to get a nice clean sharp knife cut than a dull hack. practice on lighter stuff before tackling anything heavy and curvy.

LOL items with blood should cost more, because they're special!! 

I just use normal hammer hahaha I don't know I might be doing something wrong. Yes I use the setter to set the burrs. Ig I don't bang them like this they continue being sharp at the edges.... 

Yep I am getting my knife on Monday already and I am thinking I gotta learn how to sharpen it, got no options!!

hammer.jpg

I have just finished No. 026 backpack (Acadia's 5 oz "Distressed Vintage" full grain, solid brass hardware, copper rivets). Well, not really finished because I still have to make shoulder pads, for now just used the ones from previous backpack 1f609.png;) But they'll look exactly like these.

_DSC0146.jpg

_DSC0151.jpg

_DSC0154.jpg

_DSC0155.thumb.jpg.5361fa3495453ff16da6728043bf126e.jpg