karlova

Are girls allowed? :P

Looking very nice!

Gary

My rivets get pretty flattened too.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:22 PM, karlova said:

and that was a subtle reminder that rotary cutter is really, really sharp LOL but thanks to constant stitching the skin was too thick to cut through this time. Ouch.

There are times when I have been able to say honestly that I gave it my awl....

My finger, that is.:blink:

3 minutes ago, JMixx said:

There are times when I have been able to say honestly that I gave it my awl....

My finger, that is.:blink:

ah that is happening constantly, not too bad tho, but still hurts! :censored2:

3 hours ago, garypl said:

Looking very nice!

Gary

Thanks Gary :)

If you are using a rivet setter that is all in one there should be a small concave impression on the bottom beside the hole for the post. If you use this the bur over the cut off post you get a rounded look rather than flattened and there are no sharp bits. If you intent to use copper a lot there are very nice rivet tool sets that include separate tools for setting, burring and then even doming the back side nicely.

here is one source... not where I got mine but first that came up in  search;

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/douglas-rivet-setter-domer

now maybe you know all this but from the flattened splatted look I would say you are missing a step or tool function.

Here are some shots of mine when I use the rounded peener to bur and then dome the back side (causes the little flat on the post so perhaps I should do it in the other order..) Also these are dyed over which was to give an aged effect to the piece.

Beam Carp riv btm det-500.JPG

Beam Carp riv tp det.JPG

Edited by plinkercases
spelling as usual...

3 hours ago, plinkercases said:

If you are using a rivet setter that is all in one there should be a small concave impression on the bottom beside the hole for the post. If you use this the bur over the cut off post you get a rounded look rather than flattened and there are no sharp bits. If you intent to use copper a lot there are very nice rivet tool sets that include separate tools for setting, burring and then even doming the back side nicely.

here is one source... not where I got mine but first that came up in  search;

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/douglas-rivet-setter-domer

now maybe you know all this but from the flattened splatted look I would say you are missing a step or tool function.

Here are some shots of mine when I use the rounded peener to bur and then dome the back side (causes the little flat on the post so perhaps I should do it in the other order..) Also these are dyed over which was to give an aged effect to the piece.

Thanks, your rivets look awesome!

I do have that impression on the setter but it seems too big. Tried using it a few times but it didn't work :( 

Here's what my setter looks like

IMG_2065.jpg

Yup may just be too big....You may be using the wrong size setter for the rivet size since too big will fit for setting but perhaps the domer is too deep? I have 2 sets (#9 and #12 - there is #14 but I am not there yet!) the three part tool set with a separate setter, rounder (for the post) and domer (for the flat back).

Nice thing about the separate tool is you can move the rounder around the post to get it evenly rounded and all the way down to the washer. They were a great investment and I love using copper rivets all the time.

Yessss! I've just visited our machine shop again and they made me a stainless domer which finally works!! As a neighbor I was charged like $7 for it ;)

Now my grief is that I've already finished that backpack and I doubt I could undo all those dozen rivets and reset them. :(:(:(

_DSC0160.jpg

_DSC0161.jpg

_DSC0162.jpg

_DSC0166.jpg

Those rivets are looking better now!

Gary

There is a market for good tools like that . You should think of selling something like that 

Well done. I bet you can give the backpack rivets a go and make them less splattered looking at least a little. Couldn't hurt to try on a less visible one first.

PS love that anvil they made you.

And for 7 bucks, you need to buy them a beer or so! I have rivet envy now between Plinker and Karlova.

11 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Well done. I bet you can give the backpack rivets a go and make them less splattered looking at least a little. Couldn't hurt to try on a less visible one first.

PS love that anvil they made you.

I've already tried on some other flat rivets - nothing can be done to them. :(

Gotta live them like that. But to me this would be OK, I like rustic shit. 

8 hours ago, Joseph1836 said:

Do you ever sail to the USA 

Nope - I don't sail too much lately, but for the US I would need a visa and I just don't want to deal with bureaucracy... not yet

6 hours ago, battlemunky said:

And for 7 bucks, you need to buy them a beer or so! I have rivet envy now between Plinker and Karlova.

LOL :) 

Yeah I am kinda thinking about some way to return the favor. But they said spreading the word is enough, and I am doing my best :)

Edited by karlova

Just finished the pocket belt No. 27 for a friend. The color isn't very easy to photograph - looks slightly different depending on the angle of the light. In reality it's probably a little less greenish.

_DSC0201.jpg

_DSC0203.jpg

_DSC0206.jpg

_DSC0211.jpg

_DSC0212.jpg

OMG... I am in love with Bonny. What a patient dog to pose for you. 

I am liking the rough nautical look you have in your items. You definitely have a style.

Don't get discouraged by Etsy. I haven't sold a thing there either. I think they show your items at the very last if you don't give them money to market your stuff for you.

Again, Great work! And if Bonny comes up missing... I have the dog. Just kidding.:P

Another excellent bit of work @karlova!

Another girl just joined here.
Beautiful work and your stamp is very nice. 

13 hours ago, DV8DUG said:

OMG... I am in love with Bonny. What a patient dog to pose for you. 

I am liking the rough nautical look you have in your items. You definitely have a style.

Don't get discouraged by Etsy. I haven't sold a thing there either. I think they show your items at the very last if you don't give them money to market your stuff for you.

Again, Great work! And if Bonny comes up missing... I have the dog. Just kidding.:P

Thank you ;) Yes Etsy hasn't sold anything yet despite the fact that I am marketing (just a little bit). I probably have to stop wasting money on that!!! I've got plenty of other wonderful ways of wasting them!

And Bonny was modeling for me since her puppyhood, she's used to it. She might think it's normal and all dogs have to tolerate that like it's just a part of a dog's life LOL

10 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Another excellent bit of work @karlova!

thank you :)

10 hours ago, Habadelly said:

Another girl just joined here.
Beautiful work and your stamp is very nice. 

Welcome! And thank you ;)

2 hours ago, Aven said:

I just love your style. 

Thank you! ;)

I haven't been stitching much for last couple of days because I was making myself a website! As much as I don't like doing that anymore (and even less, tweaking wordpress) I managed to make it look like an actual website and upload my works there! 

Check it out :)

http://karlovadesign.com

Edited by karlova

Really nice site!

G'Day Karlova,

Love your work...and your dog, what a star  :) 

I just love to be able to just make & create  all day like you do .....but ,  being a ' one man band' ( working for myself) , I'm forever filling  customer orders ,from a simple  10 minute repair to a 3-4 day job ,( I also do horse rug repairs which are coming in now , as  its Winter here in Western Australia )  , which leaves very little time for me  to  doodle and create...and have fun :) 

Its a case of ' start  project...order comes in ( customers come first ) ... project gets put back....and back further...repeat :) 

HS 

13 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day Karlova,

Love your work...and your dog, what a star  :) 

I just love to be able to just make & create  all day like you do .....but ,  being a ' one man band' ( working for myself) , I'm forever filling  customer orders ,from a simple  10 minute repair to a 3-4 day job ,( I also do horse rug repairs which are coming in now , as  its Winter here in Western Australia )  , which leaves very little time for me  to  doodle and create...and have fun :) 

Its a case of ' start  project...order comes in ( customers come first ) ... project gets put back....and back further...repeat :) 

HS 

Thanks a lot! ;) Well we're just me and Bonny and this is what I am thinking about for the last few days - that commission work isn't that fun, but I feel like I gotta do it. It still stays up to me mostly, the customers don't want to put any limits to the design, they just specify functional features (how many pockets etc) but it is still not the same as just making some new stuff for no one in mind. I have to find a way to keep it fun no matter what. Or I am sometimes asked to repeat some of my previous projects. Boooooring.... I am already starting dreaming of getting a partner who won't mind cutting and stitching the old patterns while I would be cutting and stitching new designs, that would be just perfect LOL

Making some small stuff - cable ties to sell really cheap (as promotion) and part of them will be donated to my friend's charity organization, and a card holder, really nothing special but I was out of ideas and needed to do some stitchin ;) 

_DSC0292.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2139.thumb.jpg.b3e9ecc0e7c0d7528ad76b33a01d2e4a.jpg_DSC0289.thumb.jpg.cd715d39e4a45c18c3da329d05f3db25.jpg