BDAZ

Backing for stamping and carving?

What do folks use for temporary backing for preventing stretch during carving/stamping/embossing of cased leather?

Most of my work is < 3" wide and includes belts, straps and long narrow cases.

Thanks!

Bob

I use piece of cleaned empty platic milk container.

Works pretty well for me. I glue it with paper glue. It comes off pretty easy when I done...

I have a cheap plastic placemat from Wally World.  I tape the back of the leather with clear packing tape, then I use rubber cement to glue the leather to the placemat.  Glue rubs off easily from both pieces.

Gary

Scotch brand Heavy Duty Shipping Tape. I slicker it down tight to the back. I have done this for years and have never had a problem with stretching. Let the leather dry completely before you peel it off and it will come off clean.  Other brands of tape don't work as well as Scotch Heavy Duty.

1 hour ago, buzzardbait said:

Scotch brand Heavy Duty Shipping Tape. I slicker it down tight to the back. I have done this for years and have never had a problem with stretching. Let the leather dry completely before you peel it off and it will come off clean.  Other brands of tape don't work as well as Scotch Heavy Duty.

Seconded

The scotch shipping tape is good. I also like using an off cut of Mat board placed under the piece I'm tooling after it has been taped. Works pretty well, and helps add depth to thinner leathers. 

Depends on teh leather thickness.

Above 8 oz, I don't feel the need to do anything with it - just keep moisture content right.  I've DEEP tooled 44-48" belts with virtually no stretch at all.

Long projects- like belts - in the 5-8 oz range the tape works well, simple to do. I don't worry about "stuff" residue on the back since a belt that light would be lined anyway.

Smaller projects - small enough to fit on the tooling rock completely - I rubber cement to card stock.  Peels right off when done, and rubber cement comes off cleanly.

Thanks to all. This is primarily for stamping and embossing production work. I trim top and bottom to the exact size, stamp or emboss the top and then tape and stitch the top to bottom. I need to eliminate the stretch in the top , which requires additional trimming once top is attached to bottom and prior to grooving and stitching. I've used backing for carving years ago, but forgot all about it. I will try 3M packing tape and I recently acquired some 3" paper seam tape. Gluing is too time consuming and messy for production work. I'll do some tests today and report back. 

Most of my leather is 5-6 oz and wetformed.

Thanks!

Bob

Update: I tested the paper seam tape, 3M Packing tape and a control with no backing against unembossed leather and the results are inconclusive. I used a 1 inch strip of drum dyed Wicket and Craig through my Speedy embosser and there was very little difference. The Paper tape was marginally better and removed a bit more easily with better results on the flesh side, than the 3M. It is not worth the hassle for 1" embossed straps, which I make often but width is not critical. I will try both on my next production run which should produce more obvious differences.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by BDAZ