Firewalker

Arbor Press modifications for snaps/stamps

Hello all, 

Forgive me if this has been covered.  I am sure it has been at some point.  I am having some brass stamps made so I can do some hot stamping.  I currently stamp my makers mark and some requested stamping patterns with a shop press.  I am wanting to use an arbor press for accuracy in layout.  I plan on buying something inexpensive and having a machine shop bore out the arbor for an insert.  My question is does anyone known the thread size and pitch of the most commonly available dies for setting snaps/rivets etc.  The insert I have made will be threaded as appropriate and I also want to advise my brass stamp maker on what size rod to make fit the brass stamps.  If I am thinking right, the rod that the brass stamps thread onto could be the same size as the insert that will go into the bored hold and fasten with a set screw.  The same bored hole will accept the insert that is tapped for the snap setting dies.  Clear as mud?  

Any help you might offer is greatly appreciated as well as a source for good quality snap setter dies.  I know Tandy sells them but non sure if they are worth buying or if there is a better option.  

Thanks in advance,

Scott

5 hours ago, Firewalker said:

Hello all, 

Forgive me if this has been covered.  I am sure it has been at some point.  I am having some brass stamps made so I can do some hot stamping.  I currently stamp my makers mark and some requested stamping patterns with a shop press.  I am wanting to use an arbor press for accuracy in layout.  I plan on buying something inexpensive and having a machine shop bore out the arbor for an insert.  My question is does anyone known the thread size and pitch of the most commonly available dies for setting snaps/rivets etc.  The insert I have made will be threaded as appropriate and I also want to advise my brass stamp maker on what size rod to make fit the brass stamps.  If I am thinking right, the rod that the brass stamps thread onto could be the same size as the insert that will go into the bored hold and fasten with a set screw.  The same bored hole will accept the insert that is tapped for the snap setting dies.  Clear as mud?  

Any help you might offer is greatly appreciated as well as a source for good quality snap setter dies.  I know Tandy sells them but non sure if they are worth buying or if there is a better option.  

Thanks in advance,

Scott

site:leatherworker.net arbor press for snaps

if you use this in google you'll get a ton of results, very effective search engine technique...I hope these help....

Many of the ones I read suggest 3/8" hole with a set screw vs threaded.  My brass maker's mark has 1/4" 20 threads, but you can ask your vendor to change that or drill/tap yourself if you're comfortable with that.  How wide is your stamp going to be?  Mine is just about 1.5"x1.5", I used a wide flange nut and fender washer to but up against my stamp and a nylon lock nut above that on a threaded bolt.  this seemed to help even out the stamp when using a mallet, not sure if it would help under a press.

11 hours ago, koreric75 said:

site:leatherworker.net arbor press for snaps

if you use this in google you'll get a ton of results, very effective search engine technique...I hope these help....

Many of the ones I read suggest 3/8" hole with a set screw vs threaded.  My brass maker's mark has 1/4" 20 threads, but you can ask your vendor to change that or drill/tap yourself if you're comfortable with that.  How wide is your stamp going to be?  Mine is just about 1.5"x1.5", I used a wide flange nut and fender washer to but up against my stamp and a nylon lock nut above that on a threaded bolt.  this seemed to help even out the stamp when using a mallet, not sure if it would help under a press.

Thank you so much for the reply.  I didn't know that about using that in a google search.  Instead I was searching the individual forum categories that seemed appropriate.   Between watching YouTube videos and searching for specs from vendors I was sure my eyes were bleeding when I posted the question.  The stamps will be made overseas and I didn't want to pick the most oddball size ever and not have anything compatible.  Nothing worse than taking something new out of the box and modifying it to work.  

This has been excellent advice and I thank you for taking the time to reply.  Perhaps I will be able to help you in the future.  

Take care and thanks again.

Scott

Hey all,  I use Barry King hand snap setter, and Tandy rivet setter.  I can't justify buying a press.  I use a book press (from a yard sale for $5) for letter stamps.

Seabee 

7 hours ago, seabee said:

Hey all,  I use Barry King hand snap setter, and Tandy rivet setter.  I can't justify buying a press.  I use a book press (from a yard sale for $5) for letter stamps.

Seabee 

Hi there Seabee.  Thank you for your interest in the thread.  After reading some of the previous material that was linked I agree with many in that if I am only setting one or two I will do it by hand.  Unfortunately I have had many of them get set off center when doing so.  Perhaps the post is longer than it should be or it is the very basic version of a Tandy setter I am using.  I am trying to gain speed so I can complete production runs instead of doing 9 stages on one piece then starting another piece.  I am hoping to have the need to set 100 snaps at a time and need to be more efficient and accurate when doing so.  I do not aim to cut any corners but instead have every snap or rivet be set correctly in a matter of seconds and not even have to question if it is correct.  My "shop" is a 24' car hauler I had made and it is quite loud inside with mallet strikes.  The press would be easier on my sanity and keep up better relations with the neighbors as well.   

This is my goal in moving from singles to batch work.  Wishing you all the best!

Scott

I have both a snap/rivet setter and a 2 Ton Arbor press. IMHO it's not a practical solution as you have to have both parts of the system machines and they have to be perfectly aligned. A PIA, especially when the press is already set up. Then you have to change dies for the other side of the snap.

For $69 you can get a press and 1 set of dies with $.99 shipping from:

https://goldstartool.com/heavy-duty-press-for-grommets-snaps-buttons-rivets-die-set.html

Around here it would cost more than that to have the parts made and machined.

I use my Goldstar press almost daily and when not being used it sits on a shelf. 

I use the 2 Ton (my 1 ton was insufficient) for 3D stamping, small custom plates and maker's mark as well as punches and smaller custom dies. I have a 12 ton for larger items.

Bob

On 5/25/2018 at 5:43 PM, BDAZ said:

I have both a snap/rivet setter and a 2 Ton Arbor press. IMHO it's not a practical solution as you have to have both parts of the system machines and they have to be perfectly aligned. A PIA, especially when the press is already set up. Then you have to change dies for the other side of the snap.

For $69 you can get a press and 1 set of dies with $.99 shipping from:

https://goldstartool.com/heavy-duty-press-for-grommets-snaps-buttons-rivets-die-set.html

Around here it would cost more than that to have the parts made and machined.

I use my Goldstar press almost daily and when not being used it sits on a shelf. 

I use the 2 Ton (my 1 ton was insufficient) for 3D stamping, small custom plates and maker's mark as well as punches and smaller custom dies. I have a 12 ton for larger items.

Bob

Bob, 

Thank you for the reply.  I appreciate the reply and I agree, it would be costly to have the arbor machined.  I am just trying to fine the most efficient manner of doing a lot of different tasks.  I am having a brass makers mark and another custom stamping plate made which I am hoping to hot stamp.  The Gold Star does seem to be a pretty good deal if it works well for setting snaps.  Does it do so without many failures?  I am wanting to "buy it once" on this one so I want to make sure it is a dependable tool that doesn't give you headaches.  Maybe buying one of those for just snaps and an arbor press as a dedicated makers mark/hot stamping machine would be ideal?  What do you think of that plan?  I already have a 12 ton I could potentially mount the magnetic chuck system to or maybe have the ram drilled out precisely?  Lot of ways to skin a cat here.  Thanks again for taking the time.  

*** Is the correct die for line 20 the 5mm?  

Scott

Edited by Firewalker
more questions of course

I also have a 12 ton and use it exclusively for large embossing plates and cutting dies. It is too slow and impractical for stamping. The 2 ton arbor is ideal, plenty of work space and quick to use for alphabets, 3d stamps and makers mark. I had mine made with a back like a 3D stamp. I have added a bottle jack that enables me to keep pressure on the handle as long as necessary for stamping.

I have a zero failures with the Gold Star and I know it is used in production work by garment makers. 

Bob

8 hours ago, BDAZ said:

I also have a 12 ton and use it exclusively for large embossing plates and cutting dies. It is too slow and impractical for stamping. The 2 ton arbor is ideal, plenty of work space and quick to use for alphabets, 3d stamps and makers mark. I had mine made with a back like a 3D stamp. I have added a bottle jack that enables me to keep pressure on the handle as long as necessary for stamping.

I have a zero failures with the Gold Star and I know it is used in production work by garment makers. 

Bob

Hello again Bob, 

The price point certainly makes it interesting and it is exciting to hear of zero failures.  I have read about one press in particular that had proprietary dies that required the user to only use their snaps.  Is this how it is with Gold Star?  Line 20 snaps are what I am using almost always and I am showing they are 0.5cm according to Tandy's site.  Does it take the 5mm to set line 20 or am I missing where you just order the line 20 die.   

I am interested in seeing how the bottle jack works on the arbor press.  I am picturing the press bolted to the bench and the bottle jack under one of the spokes.  Is that how you are doing it?  Does it ever slip off of the knob?  I would really like to see a picture of the set up if you care to share one.  I wonder if a cheater pipe and a bungee would work in a similar way?  

Thanks again for the replies.

Scott

I only use #24 snaps and use both Gold Star's and Tandy and all are perfect! I position a 4 ton jack next to the rear and set up the press so that the fully extended handle is resting on the jack at a low angle. Then I simple crank the jack to the level I want . The 2 ton arbor press is definitely overbuilt but I don't push it. I generally use it for smaller embossing plates when I want to maintain pressure for a while to get a good impression.

Bob

11 hours ago, BDAZ said:

I only use #24 snaps and use both Gold Star's and Tandy and all are perfect! I position a 4 ton jack next to the rear and set up the press so that the fully extended handle is resting on the jack at a low angle. Then I simple crank the jack to the level I want . The 2 ton arbor press is definitely overbuilt but I don't push it. I generally use it for smaller embossing plates when I want to maintain pressure for a while to get a good impression.

Bob

Sounds good.  Thank you for the replies.  I think I will pull the trigger on one of those.

You wont be sorry. Get a batch of snaps too.