Just finished the quiver I started to make a while ago.

First I finished the edge then cut it open where the straps that hold the D-rings had to be fed in.

I combined the piece with a matching belt which I’ve made some years ago and that I’d forgotten about.

Everything is sewn by Hand.

Comments welcome.

P1060164.JPG

P1060165.JPG

Very nice. That's a lot of stamping. Hand stitched?

Ignore my question... It pays to read haha!

...And that much stamping and stitching paid as well (even if in rather volatile currency): I got plenty of OOOHs and AAAhs from fellow archers (who don't know much about leatherwork, I have to admit).

Thanks for commenting, Stetson!

Beautiful work Sir. Pride in your work is obvious. Thank you for sharing. An aside comment. Love the book case. 

This like all of your pieces is amazing.

My hand is cramped in empathy. It looks awesome though. I like the scales and then the stamping with the camoflager in each scale. Damn classy! Edges look great too. There is too much to love with this piece!

Top quality work there.Stamping and sewing is awesome!

Thank you for the nice comments Bullmoosepaddles, Bikermutt, Battlemunky and Noobleather!

Forgive me for responding only now!

My children kept me rather busy presenting me with a wood carving course ...  a nice new experience!

Very nice work, my hands ache for you.

Thank you, Fire88.

A fellow archer practically pried the set out of my hands. That flatters the amateur leather crafter and justifies the tedious work.

14 hours ago, LederRudi said:

A fellow archer practically pried the set out of my hands.

That.  Makes it all worthwhile.  Awesome for you!  And awesome set as well.  That is a ton of stamping!  and a ton of sewing.  I bet your hands were so tired it wasn't hard for that archer to pry it away, even if you did attempt to resist!

YinTx

Thank you, YinTx.

Actually it wasn't that much of a hardship because I already had the belt lying around in a drawer. Only after finishing the quiver I found out that both pieces were equal in color and design.

Really nice job. I like the colour.The only thing I would do differently, would be a line of stitches along each side of the 2 hanger straps, I think it just finishes the straps off to match the belt and quiver.

I competed nationally in FITA and I would have been very pleased to have a rig like that! Well done!

Bob

1 hour ago, Rockoboy said:

Really nice job. I like the Colour. The only thing I would do differently, would be a line of stitches along each side of the 2 hanger straps, I think it just finishes the straps off to match the belt and quiver.

Thanks, Rockoboy! And You are right. Since even chape (chape?) and billet of the belt are lined and stitched, I should have paid more attention to the hanger straps.

Originally I thought I'd offer the quiver without belt. Then I found the long forgotten western belt ...

54 minutes ago, BDAZ said:

I competed nationally in FITA and I would have been very pleased to have a rig like that! Well done!

Bob

Thanks, Bob! My rig worn in a FITA championship? I would have bragged about it to my pals!

Down-East-Archery.jpeg.1c11122575bf8c2f88febf715cf86ad5.jpeg

This was prior to my starting leather working. BTW each arrow is around $80.

Arrows at 80 bucks each would merit to be housed in one of the antique turkish quivers that are on display in the Imperial Armoury in Vienna!

koecher.jpg

Wow!

Very nicely done. I'm very new to leather. What stamps did you use to create the scale look inside of the border?

On 6/26/2018 at 10:21 AM, BDAZ said:

Down-East-Archery.jpeg.1c11122575bf8c2f88febf715cf86ad5.jpeg

How far were you shooting that you had a spotting scope with you?

3 hours ago, Railrider1920 said:

Very nicely done. I'm very new to leather. What stamps did you use to create the scale look inside of the border?

Thanks, Railrider.

I used a large camouflage tool I bought many years ago in Germany. From tip to tip it measures 12 mm (almost 1/2 ").

Any large and fairly rounded camouflage tool will do, e.g. Craftool C455 (which measures 7/8x11/32).

I accented the scales with a narrow textured pear shader (P370), but any drop-shaped tool will do.

The pic shows scale-experiments:

Camouflage tool   -   scales accented with narrow pear shader or backgrounder   -   Berry King border tool added.

It pais to make a template and to mark the points where the scales meet.

Upper left Corner: A scale tool that I bought from Bulgaria produced sharp contours but otherwise flat impressions.

scrap.jpg

5 hours ago, Railrider1920 said:

How far were you shooting that you had a spotting scope with you?

I shoot FITA as well, although it's not called that any more,  and it is anywhere from 20m to 90m for men. At 90m it is extremely hard to see where your arrows are hitting without a scope.

The quiver looks great by the way. Nice work. Is it stamped on both sides or is it left hand only.

Edited by NCArcher

LederRudi and NCArcher, thanks for the information. 

6 hours ago, NCArcher said:

I shoot FITA as well, although it's not called that any more,  and it is anywhere from 20m to 90m for men. At 90m it is extremely hard to see where your arrows are hitting without a scope.

The quiver looks great by the way. Nice work. Is it stamped on both sides or is it left hand only.

FITA is still the governing body. Senior mens is still 90M and 70M on the large targets and 50M and 30M on the smaller. The bull on the larger targets is the size of a CD and if you are not getting 3-4 bulls an end (6 arrows) you are not competitive. The scope is so you can see where your arrow hit. There are 4 men on a target, so 24 arrows for each end and you have to be able to see the color of your nicks at 90M to know what you are doing. There are a lot of $2000 scopes on the field. A typical arrow costs $60-$70, so lots of metal detectors as well.

I used to shoot recurve when I was younger but switched to Compound and competed in the Senior Olympics, and won gold for Arizona in 2009. My coach is one of the olympic coaches and I used to shoot 6 hours a day, 6 days a week at the PSE range in Tucson. I quit after winning gold and got my life back! Mostly used the time to get back to music and starting leather work!

Again, nice work on the quiver!

Bob

Bob, that's one heck of an accomplishment. Congrats. Thanks for the info on the competition.

21 hours ago, NCArcher said:

Thanks NCArcher! Only one side of the quiver is stamped. I had trad archery in mind, so the arrows would point back (right handed shooter). Stamping both sides would have overstrained my patience

14 hours ago, BDAZ said:

I used to shoot recurve when I was younger but switched to Compound and competed in the Senior Olympics, and won gold for Arizona in 2009. My coach is one of the olympic coaches and I used to shoot 6 hours a day, 6 days a week at the PSE range in Tucson. I quit after winning gold and got my life back! Mostly used the time to get back to music and starting leather work!

Again, nice work on the quiver!

Bob

I'm with Railrider: That's one heck of an accomplishment! Being a mediocre trad archer myself, I'm in awe of such an achievement!

But it's a good thing that you have your life back!