EvanBrent

Band knife splitting machines?

Anyone using these, are they preferable to say Cobra Type14 and the motor operated Cowboy splitters?

I use one most weeks but never owned one. They can split thinner and floppier leather than a fixed-knife splitter like those you mention, which are really only good for thick, stiff leathers. Band-knife splitters though are physically large, heavy, complicated and expensive machines.

11 hours ago, EvanBrent said:

Anyone using these, are they preferable to say Cobra Type14 and the motor operated Cowboy splitters?

There is a huge difference in what can be done but whether the extra cost is warranted would depend on the type of leather work you want to do. For a lot of saddlery type work the fixed blades would normally suffice. For many of our products we produce we use 1mm leather split down to .4 or .5mm with often soft leathers and that I believe is not anywhere near possible with a fixed blade. Also band knife splitters have built in sharpening stones and take but a few seconds to sharpen now and again. Below are a few pics of typical pieces that go in my wallets but if you check my you tube channel some of these steps are shown better perhaps.

DSC08317_resize.jpg

DSC08332_resize.JPG

DSC08333_resize.JPG

DSC08327_resize.JPG