GregorVolk

My Pfaff 345 needs a servo motor - which one to choose?

Hello, everyone!

I recently bought myself a Pfaff 345 cylinder bed industrial sewing machine. I would like to swap the fast 3F clutch motor with a more controllable servo motor.

I live in Europe (Slovenia) and as far as I know I can't get my hands on a Family sew or Hightex motor here. My options are 750W Jack servo motors and Zoje servo motors (although not much is written about them on the internet), maybe 550W Sailrite Workhorse or any other good quality motor brand I am not familiar with.

I would appreciate any advice on which servo motor to buy. My budget is in 200-300€ range.

I mostly do leather bags, purses, belts, wallets from veg-tan (not more than 6mm/0.3 in thick) and crome-tanned leather.

Kind regards,

Gregor

I'd buy something made for the European market. Both Jack and Zoje are big enough brands to likely make decent motors for their machines.

The best form factor of the servo motor depends on how your machine is mounted on a table. Some servo motors have all-in-one, integrated motor/controller/speed input and others are made up of three separate parts connected by wires. The 3-part motors with physically separate motor/controller/speed input usually offer greater installation flexibility and are my personal preference.

I definitely recommend getting a small 50mm motor pulley for improved low speed control and torque.

If you want features like needle positioning (most leatherworkers don't) make sure the controller is capable of it and includes the position sensor (it often is sold separately.)

Uwe, thank you for your advice. I just ordered a Zoje 750W servo with needle positioning which is a 3-part design and comes standard with 50mm pulley. 

Regards,

Gregor