Mujician

Little help please

I have some patterns. They are digital, so I need to print them from my computer. Not a problem. I then mount them to card to trace onto the leather. Easy. However, I'm a little bit stuck when it comes to marking on the stitching holes. Am I correct in thinking its necessary to poke a hole through the template I have made, I'm really struggling with this aspect of things and its giving me a headache. While I'm here, I'm looking for a fool proof pattern or set of patterns for making drinking vessels. I'm very interested in making different kinds. Happy to pay for acrylic templates too. 

Many thanks for any help

Assuming you are hand stitching, most use an edge groover to mark a stitch line 3-4 mm or so from the edge. Then use a stitching wheel or pricking iron to mark the holes, and an awl or stitching chisel to punch the holes.

If you try to do it through the pattern, unless there are no straight lines, you're not going to get things perfectly lined up. The stitching lines on a pattern are there to give an idea what it will look like and to serve as a reference for what areas get stitches and what areas do not.

Regards

Michael

43 minutes ago, mmn said:

Assuming you are hand stitching, most use an edge groover to mark a stitch line 3-4 mm or so from the edge. Then use a stitching wheel or pricking iron to mark the holes, and an awl or stitching chisel to punch the holes.

If you try to do it through the pattern, unless there are no straight lines, you're not going to get things perfectly lined up. The stitching lines on a pattern are there to give an idea what it will look like and to serve as a reference for what areas get stitches and what areas do not.

Regards

Michael

I reckon that the edge groover serves two purposes: to pull all the stitches into line and to sell another £10 tool. Stitch neatly and you don't need the groove, which weakens the leather. Furthermore I have found that the usual Ivan/Tandy edge groovers aren't sharp and clog easily, both of which increase the likelihood of the groove wandering off in the wrong direction.

Much better to mark the stitch line around the border of a piece with a wing divider, or a scratch awl and some sort of template when going across the middle.

9 hours ago, mmn said:

Regards

Michael

So in that case, I'm concerning myself with something that I don't need to even think about? I assumed that to make the item successfully, I would ned to have the the stitching holes in the exact same place as the pattern showed.

27 minutes ago, Mujician said:

So in that case, I'm concerning myself with something that I don't need to even think about? I assumed that to make the item successfully, I would ned to have the the stitching holes in the exact same place as the pattern showed.

Exactly, no need to copy the pattern - in fact do not copy it. Adjust your stitch length for the thickness of your thread eg, a 1mm thread looks ok at 6 stitches per inch, 0.5mm thread looks better at 8 or 10 spi

A stitching groove is handy, but only really necessary where the object will get wear on the thread area, eg on the soles of shoes.

You can get stitching hole markers in various stitches-per-inch. Some tools have a handle with changeable spi wheels

Here's a good pattern for  leather tankard

tankard.pdf

Fool Proof? You don't know is very well. We can botch days of work in a millisecond.

If this is a Diesel Punk pattern you may want to mark thru the pattern. I watched one of his videos and Tony's stuff does kind of go together differently than what I'm used too.

If not, carry on and make your own lines.