harryhorse

New Member Intro and Question

I just joined yesterday and "...already she has a question?"

If there is someone familiar with 5 oz. Bison leather - I would like to know if machine or hand saddle stitch for man's simple mail/messenger bag.  

Thank you,

Dinah

Welcome!  I've used 5 oz. buffalo leather from Springfield Leather Co. and it was fantastic.  I made a briefcase out of it.  It was firm enough yet supple enough.  I hand saddle stitched the bag, but it certainly could be machine sewn.

Thank you Tugadude!  I have an industrial Brother walking foot, and can do everything on it that doesn't require a 'post', but enjoy saddle stitching and that makes it an easy choice.  I've been saving for a good machine with a post to work on with some of my medical horse boots, hopefully I'll find one. :)

Dinah

"I just joined yesterday and "...already she has a question?"

Actually, that's why most people come here!   Welcome!

Jeff

I just completed a project that required 2 full bison hides and  days of machine stitching. I usually work in 5-6 oz vegtan, so this was very different. The leather  is very supple. The client was very pleased with the results. Machine should work like a champ.

Bob

Wow Bob!  2 sides?  I just got one side and it's 26.8sqft.  That must have been a monster to get on the machines table and keep it there.  Dinah

Actually the hides were cut into long straps 1", 2" and 3" wide by 12 feet, stitched  and decorated and hung in an upmarket hipster bar.

Bob

Hi Dinah, welcome to the forum! Your bison should be easy to sew by hand ,but it is on the softer/more flexible side so something to hold it (stitching horse,or pony) will be very helpful. 

Thanks JD, I have a stitching horse that I've used for years.  

Dinah

Hi Bob-sounds very interesting.