Has any one used one of these machines? Is it worth the money. I do not sell any items, I build for myself. Tandy currently has it on sale for right at $400.00.

Janome has a user manual on the HD3000 page, linked to as: Download HD3000 Manual

This is a hobbyist level garment sewing machine. It has an aluminum body to keep it from breaking apart if you sew denim jeans.

Do not buy this if you need to sew leather thicker than about 4 or 5 ounces. It should be limited to soft temper garment or light chap leather for a machine like this, which feeds from the bottom only. It will max out at #69 bonded nylon thread, using a #18/110 leather point needle.

I agree, the wife and i played with this Sat at Tandy's memorial day sale.  I will say that for a home machine, it does stitch very nicely through garment leather compared to my singer 4423.  I plan on taking a few samples of my own when I go back in this upcoming sat (the wife wants to do the vest making class at our store),  One of the main bonuses compared to my old singer 15-91 is the stitch settings.  I have quite a few attachments that were in the box when i got the old 15-91, but still haven't been able to get the button holer to make a good looking product (i'm sure this is mostly my fault...lol)  I saw JoAnn's had their Singer HD 4255? i think on sale for $199, I haven't had a chance to mess with it to compare to the Janome though.

When you go in, they should jump at the chance to let you sit down and really run it through it's paces...if not then there is something wrong there.  I've watched one of the fellers in our store demo that Tipman Boss at least once or twice every time i go in there...

It does nothing that an old cast iron straight sewer won't do better for much less money

Gladly I’ve found this topic before I started my experiments.
Current situation: for my new project, I'll need to work with a thick leather and I’d like to make machine stitches. As I understood from your previous post, Wiz, Janome won’t take it. And I don’t want to ruin my wife’s machine trying either. Feel like it's time to buy a personal sewing machine. Wanted do ask, what’s your opinion on Sailrite LSZ basic (features are here)? Will it make a better job?

18 minutes ago, daniel86 said:

Current situation: for my new project, I'll need to work with a thick leather and I’d like to make machine stitches. As I understood from your previous post, Wiz, Janome won’t take it. And I don’t want to ruin my wife’s machine trying either. Feel like it's time to buy a personal sewing machine. Wanted do ask, what’s your opinion on Sailrite LSZ basic (features are here)? Will it make a better job?

Better than the Janome? Yes. Better than a larger used compound feed walking foot machine off Craig's List? No, but it's about the same price. What's your budget? Maybe look for a used Singer 111W, Juki 562 or 563, etc.

The Sailrite is a cool little machine (made mainly for sail cloth and the like) and you can "get by" sewing leather on it, and it's portable, but it does not climb or stitch like a dedicated industrial machine can. But - if it's all you have room for, it's great for it's size. No home machine no matter how "heavy duty" it's claim can beat the portable walking foot machines.

And if it's thick leather, get a thick leather machine like a Cowboy CB3200, etc.

Oh and looking at that link, the Techsew is literally the only one listed one should consider for anything but thin garment leather.

12 hours ago, daniel86 said:

I think it is a great machine sewing awnings, tarps, sails and Bimini and seat covers. All of the above are either water repellent cloth or vinyl. The machine is not tough enough to sew anything stronger than seat or chap leather. The standard feet have teeth on the bottom to claw the work through. These teeth leave permanent marks in any type of leather that has a memory (veg-tan, bridle, retan, etc). They do sell smooth bottom feet as an aftermarket option. The design is such that 1/4 inch is the most thickness you can sew and advance under the alternating feet. Further, you would need to upgrade to the Monster II flywheel in order to penetrate leather and maintain a steady slow speed. By the time you have upgraded the machine, you'll have $1000 invested in it. For the same money, plus gas or shipping, you can order a brand spanking new Consew P1206RB compound feed, walking foot, large bobbin, leather sewing mo-sheen.

47 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

For the same money, plus gas or shipping, you can order a brand spanking new Consew P1206RB compound feed, walking foot, large bobbin, leather sewing mo-sheen.

Which is the same base machine as the Sailrite Fabricator, except it has the bobbin winder built in. Both nice machines (I had the Fabricator, loved it)

I own the precursor to this machine, aka the New Home L-372.  I bought it new off of the showroom floor back in the late 90s.  So I've had it for awhile and I have put it through its paces. 

In a nutshell, don't try and stitch anything too terribly thick with it, and do be aware that a loose thread bit in the bobbin area can cause an obscene amount of trouble.