ABHandmade

Cougar carving & embossing

An attempt to portray a cougar (puma). It dries and waits for coloring ...

puma_1.jpg

Wow very nice work... looking forward to the rest of its finishing.

Not at all the cougar I was expecting... :P

2 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

What, is it really that bad?

Not at all!  I was just thinking of a different kind of cougar

In Ukraine there is a problem with cougars. I had to be content with photography. Well, is not pig like - and that's good :)

You have done a fine job!  I would push the corners of the eyes in a little deeper.  

6 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

You have done a fine job!  I would push the corners of the eyes in a little deeper.  

I agree. I did not have enough work on the leather insert in the eye area. I hope the coloring will slightly correct the situation.

1 hour ago, ABHandmade said:

In Ukraine there is a problem with cougars. I had to be content with photography. Well, is not pig like - and that's good :)

In North America (Canada and US at least - not sure about Mexico....) "Cougar" also refers to older, attractive women who like to date younger men. I wouldn't say its a problem but.... if you have a problem with these cougars in the Ukraine then that may not always be a bad thing. Tempted to post a picture but I will leave it to you and google to complete the 'image" of Immiketoo's cougar expectation!

6 hours ago, plinkercases said:

In North America (Canada and US at least - not sure about Mexico....) "Cougar" also refers to older, attractive women who like to date younger men. I wouldn't say its a problem but.... if you have a problem with these cougars in the Ukraine then that may not always be a bad thing. Tempted to post a picture but I will leave it to you and google to complete the 'image" of Immiketoo's cougar expectation!

I tried to find an appropriate photo that wouldn't completely derail this thread, and I couldn't, so I refrained :P  

8 hours ago, plinkercases said:

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

I tried to find an appropriate photo that wouldn't completely derail this thread, and I couldn't, so I refrained :P  

:lol: The language barrier.
I must to be cautious, and then something else I will write, and this will turn out to be a foul language.
Our analogue is "a woman of Balzac's age". The American term is clearly shorter :)

7 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

:lol: The language barrier.
I must to be cautious, and then something else I will write, and this will turn out to be a foul language.
Our analogue is "a woman of Balzac's age". The American term is clearly shorter :)

I figured as much.  We also say "women of a certain age," but not all of them are cougars.  Anyway, back to your cougar!

10 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Anyway, back to your cougar!

Mike, I have a question regarding the use of liquid latex to mask part of the image when dyeing. I know that you apply it in your works.
Will I have problems with removing the dryed latex, if I put it on the "hair" of a cougar?

you may have to work harder un the deep recesses, but several thick coats should make it come up fairly easy.

18 hours ago, immiketoo said:

:rolleyes2:

Okay, someone has to give this the response it deserves...

[slaps immiketoo]

Edited by Sheilajeanne

30 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

:rolleyes2:

Okay, someone has to give this the response it deserves...

[slaps immiketoo]

I deserved that.  Sorry.

2 hours ago, immiketoo said:

you may have to work harder un the deep recesses, but several thick coats should make it come up fairly easy.

Thank you very much, Mike. I just returned with a liter bottle of purchased liquid latex. Now I will practice a little on scraps of leather and try your technology.

Practice on some practice hair areas too.

And use soapy water to clean your brush.

Finished the coloring. He looked a bit surprised :)

puma_3.thumb.jpg.7c5148f8b3aa122ebdee35b03b6f1ab3.jpg

puma_5.thumb.jpg.d5ab287768550a03680f94de079889c9.jpg

More images there 

Just outstanding.  I like the work you did on the fur.  I have tried to emulate it, but no success yet.  I now have another work of art to study!  Thanks for that!

YinTx

3 hours ago, YinTx said:

Just outstanding.  I like the work you did on the fur.  I have tried to emulate it, but no success yet.  I now have another work of art to study!  Thanks for that!

YinTx

Thank you for such a appreciation my work! I myself also study, trying in every new work to learn and apply the advice and methods set forth by Al Stohlman in his great books "Finesse Figure Carving" and "The Art of Embossing Leather".

This looked good before, but now that it's finished ... Wow!

Show it off in the right places and you may get the other kind of cougar making advances on you.  ;)

-Bill

Edited by billybopp

35 minutes ago, billybopp said:

This looked good before, but now that it's finished ... Wow!

Thank you, Bill!

36 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Show it off in the right places and you may get the other kind of cougar making advances on you.  ;)

Given the fact that I was explained here about another type of cougars, I seem to have a little chance in my 48 years :)