harryhorse

New Tool from Recycled Sofa and file handle hardware

I was watching a video today on YouTube by my favorite leatherworker.  He was using a metal roller on leather to depress the saddle stitching into a groove.  I thought it was so cool.  I grabbed my tin of antique sofa rollers, some wood for a chair I'm restoring, six metal ones and 3 hard plastic ones from the 40s.  I dumped them in a pickle solution on the side of my cooker, and in about 30 minutes brushed them clean and buffed them, took some old wood handles for my round wood files, used the wood files to enlarge the holes a bit and put them in.  

I love it when I can find stuff around here to use that I need not spend money on.  may18leatherstitchrollers.jpgmay18leatherstitchrollers1.jpg

This is great. I hope you don't mind me stealing this idea, because I have planned it already! :lol:

If I didn't want to share you would not have seen it. :)  Not at all, Brian.  If I can contribute in some way and make it easier I'm all for that.  You have to post photos though......

Dinah

I can just imagine the squeaky squeaky squeaky squeaky sound the make as you roll them :P

6 hours ago, harryhorse said:

If I can contribute in some way and make it easier I'm all for that

On my second glance, I noticed the wheels are slightly domed. Wouldn't this type of roller function better with a flat surface across the wheel?

I really like the idea, well done. They look good too. I think the domed one would be better for pressing a stitch into a groove because the pressure would be more concentrated on the centre of the wheel and probably less likely to leave unwanted impressions from the edge if it was a flat surface rolling. 

That's to match the shape of the cow when it was alive :)

My main use for them is to roll the hand stitching down further into the groove I've made so that it's a bit more protected.  The secondary use would be rolling skived edges about 1/2".  I was not planning much else 'sept rolling across your knuckles-----------:) :):) Brian  Just tugging' your whiskers Rocko.

Actually they don't make much of a sound now, I know they did when they were on that big old Settee.  

Dinah

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:17 AM, harryhorse said:

I was not planning much else 'sept rolling across your knuckles-----------:) :):) Brian  Just tugging' your whiskers Rocko.

I know which option I prefer, and its not rolling anything across my knuckles!

I went looking for something in my shed during the week, and I found an old wallpaper roller with a hard plastic wheel. I thought that might be a decent tool until I can get to Bunnings (big box hardware store) and buy a wheel to make one of these. Good thing I found the wallpaper roller ... they don't sell the wheels same as you used. So your copyright remains un-infringed! :P

Thanks Brian!  I think that's a great idea.  Sometimes it pays to hoard a bit.......you never know when it might come in handy. :)

Dinah

My main use for them is to roll the hand stitching down further into the groove I've made so that it's a bit more protected.  The secondary use would be rolling skived edges about 1/2".  I was not planning much else 'sept rolling across your knuckles-----------:) :):) Brian  Just tugging' your whiskers Rocko.

Actually they don't make much of a sound now, I know they did when they were on that big old Settee.  

Dinah

I have used my "new" hard roller to press lining onto a dog collar and a belt to help the glue to grab. I can see it being useful to roll over stitching.

You know what they say: "The squeaky wheel gets the oil!" :)

Very nice Idea.

Sam

Thanks Brian!  I've been up to my armpits washing and repairing horse blankets for 2 weeks now.  Every door in my house has a blanket hanging to dry and I have more repairs before I deliver some tomorrow.  I managed to finish my eldest sons birthday present - a leather satchel.  I want to get back to leather work, but right now the blankets pay the bills. :)

Love this idea.  I know I have a few of those wheels somewhere around here...

And the hunt begins!

Thanks @harryhorse !!!

Very nice,I’ll make me a pair,thanks for posting