roguewolf

Leathercrafting helped save my life

Hi Folks, 

I finally decided it's time to start becoming active on the forum. I've been lurking for years but have been going through some big changes recently that has made me want to tell the world about my story how Leatherworking has helped to save my life. I have been working leather for many years and sold my goods part time only  as I had a solid career in IT as a contractor that kept me pretty busy (on call a lot). Last December I was forced to retire as contractors have no job security and I was diagnosed with throat cancer stage 4 and would not be able to work during treatment. The treatments were both chemo and radiation for 8 weeks. The chemo damaged my kidney function but not enough to need dialysis, hopefully never. My throat closed up and even after the 8 weeks after treatment I still have to eat through a tube, but I am starting to swallow again finally, it's just going to take a while.  The good news is so far at least the cancer is gone, I'll know for sure in July when I get another PET scan. I'm almost feeling like myself again, well my new self as I lost over 80 pounds, I'm down to 235.  I did need to lose weight but that's not the best way for sure but it's done and I my blood pressure is normal without meds!

Through my descent into cancer hell and let me tell you I can't imagine hell being much worse, the only thing that helped me keep sane was my wonderful supportive Wife and Son and my leather shop. Some days I could only work for a few minutes sometimes an hour or 2 on really good days. I was alone during the day when my wife and son were at work (my son moved in with us during my treatments to help out) so I tried to keep my mind occupied by working in my shop when I felt up to it. I made stuff for my family and myself only. I cancelled all my customer requests and returned their deposits, after I was diagnosed, they were very understanding.  Here is  my work since my cancer journey started last December.

My son is a big Dr. Who fan so I made this insulated 64oz beer coozie for him. 

FB-doctor-who-tardis-boozie.jpg.b844115cf1f2ad72235ea2578932c978.jpg

I made this wine rack for my Wife

Wine_rack_2_montage.jpg.5368fd0c0de54df4539520d29619a309.jpg

My son saw the wine rack and wanted one of his own. He is also into Roman history, so....

052818_1.thumb.jpg.e908f5d2b5d0079cb4cfc41ba553bdfd.jpg

I also made this cig case for my wife, she is Japanese and everyone in her family smokes as is still common in Japan and lived into their late 80's so she feels that she does not need to quit. I wanted to try my hand at making these for selling to Bikers, in basic black of course

cig-case.jpg.82c8e804f94e5031dd48fa08e643afde.jpg

This last month I made these for myself. I'm a big Godzilla fan and wanted to use the godzilla figures I collected while in Japan last fall

godzilla-display.jpg.28c2295056389bf55fd494b85e54a10a.jpg

I am keeping hope alive by planning our next trip to Japan ia a couple of years, so I made this passport wallet. I wonder if immigration will get a kick out of it!

GodzillaFB.jpg.33c01f0f0025aee6f2880f88a98b1ec4.jpg

I hope to restart my business in a few months by attending the weekly Main Street market here in Columbia and going to some craft shows. I have to live for today but dreaming of the future keeps hope alive! I'm not looking for sympathy but want to reach out and hopefully touch someone who is in need of  renewed hope.

First of all I love the leather projects. More importantly, best of wishes on your recovery. Everyone I know that has beaten cancer has done in big part ( I believe) to their positive attitude. In other words keep your chin up and God bless you.

Thanks for posting this... I have known men who just gave up (not the same as living gracefully without treatment - gave up and crashed their lives) and men who carried on as you have. You are a power of example and the leather work is cool too. God Bless you and your family and may you hope be renewed daily.

My prayers for you on continued improvement and to your family for their continued support. Your leather projects are quite fun and entertaining. I like your wine racks in particular. Many options out there for you to make a bit of income I should think. All the best. God Bless you.

Your leather projects look great and I wish you all the best in your continuing recovery.  My wife had stage 3 melanoma 12 years ago and after surgery and a nasty round of chemo, thank God she is cancer free.  Every day is a gift and you are wise to be making the most of it!  Look forward to seeing more of your work and hope you will continue to grow stronger every day.

Gary

Fantastic work on the projects. Takes real courage to make that post, GOOD FOR YOU !!! God bless you and show you continued grace and mercy. Reach out if you need to brother....

God Bless you all! Your comments really lifted my spirit! Thank you!

I'm a very private person so opening up this way was something I would have kept to myself and family before. I have now learned to lean on others and have been graced by it.

Again, thank you!

“You beat cancer by how you live, why you live and the manner in which you live” - by what I can gather through your post - you got this.  Looking forward to seeing more of your incredible work in the years to come.  Speedy recovery. 

An inspiring story.  As was once said in a movie, get busy living, or get busy dying.  You have chosen to put your focus and energy into moving past the disease.  This resonates with me because leather work changed my life.  Forever.  And, for the better.  Keep on going strong and heal well!

While we have the meaning of life - we live. You have both the sense and the desire to create magnificent things. A speedy recovery for you and hundreds and thousands of wonderful new works.

Some great leather work there! Your story is very inspiring and I look froward to seeing more of your work in the future. As they say in Japan

Ganbatte

Best wishes on your recovery.  I love your Tardis and Godzilla items.

I lost my husband to cancer, and his was related to smoking, too - 90% of bladder cancer victims are smokers or ex-smokers. Even though he quit more than 20 years before he was diagnosed, it still got him. Could include a few other family member in the list, too...

Hard to believe your wife would not want to quit after what you've been through. :(  Hope she's one of the lucky ones who is able to dodge it!

God bless, and keep on truckin'!  That's some nice work!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

My family knows about the cancer bit. A brother died at 45 years, sister at 70, my mom at 65, another brother has pieces of his face and back removed every six months.

Wife has battled breast cancer, she is winning now. My wife and I are empty nesters. I find without a doubt, keeping positive and saying many prayers to our dear Lord and Savior has many positives.

Hang in there, we are all pulling for you.

Ferg

1 minute ago, Ferg said:

I find without a doubt, keeping positive and saying many prayers to our dear Lord and Savior has many positives.

Amen to that. I find that I can only keep positive so long on my own power and need the help of the Maker all the time.

Lost Mom to bladder/smokers cancer.... after hysterectomy (50's) and then bladder removal (60's) but it was a lymph node (early 70's) and the pressure it put on her spinal cord that ended her days... pain essentially.

My little immediate family, and wider family circle both have lots of challenges (opportunities for personal and spiritual/faith growth for me) and I have always found my time working with leather to be very restorative. I can pray/meditate/stop the squirrels while also focusing on the craft and work at hand. And its nice to spend time and effort on something that the recipient is thrilled with and knows there is no other like it in the world.

I'm 7 1/2 years into my fight with melanoma and my wife is still recovering from a round with breast cancer.  Much like you I got through the worst of it because of my wife and daughter and the time I've been able to spend in my shop.

Keep fighting and my prayers for you to have a complete recovery.

What an awesome story of grace and faith! Fine what drives you and fight for it. You have also raised a great son to move back in and help out, it shows how much you mean to him!

Good luck in your recovery!  I am a fellow cancer survivor.  Attitude helps, but my faith sustains me.  Right now I am cancer-free but the doctor is reluctant  to use the word "cured".  So on it goes until the next blood test.

Keep on keeping on friend!

Have fun on your next trip to Japan!