Raksha

Hello from the north

Hi! I am new to the leather world, and do not have anything I really want to show of yet. My goal is to make collars for dogs (have saluki and basenji), maby some  bridles and so on for horses, and I really want to make my self a leather satchel bag. I want to learn everything, at once. Patience? Not så much. But I am here to learn. I also have meat rabbits and woud like to make use of the fur in some projects. . 

I live in Norway and my english reading and understanding is better than my writing. 34 year old female with hubby, a kid, dogs, cats, horses, chicken, ducks, rabbits, and far too few hours in the day. 

Welcome and I will say you can learn much here.  Look forward to seeing your projects!

Gary

Welcome! I could have written your post word for word almost. I am 39 and have no ducks, but I match you on everything else. I too want to learn all the things and do all the things right now. I am having to learn more patience as I unfold into this craft. I am even having to learn patience for not getting to practice and create nearly as often as I want.  There is so much to learn and the only way to do so is to practice, study, practice, ask questions, practice, post pictures of your projects, and practice some more. Did I mention practice?:lol: I found that when I finally just jumped in and got started that I learned far more that way. So my advice is to just get started. What kind of rabbits do you have? We have Rex.

1 hour ago, garypl said:

Welcome and I will say you can learn much here.  Look forward to seeing your projects!

Gary

Thank you :) I am at the moment testing swivelknife - fun! 

55 minutes ago, doublehbar said:

Welcome! I could have written your post word for word almost. I am 39 and have no ducks, but I match you on everything else. I too want to learn all the things and do all the things right now. I am having to learn more patience as I unfold into this craft. I am even having to learn patience for not getting to practice and create nearly as often as I want.  There is so much to learn and the only way to do so is to practice, study, practice, ask questions, practice, post pictures of your projects, and practice some more. Did I mention practice?:lol: I found that when I finally just jumped in and got started that I learned far more that way. So my advice is to just get started. What kind of rabbits do you have? We have Rex.

:lol: A soulmate!  We have rex and meatmixes :D  Do you use the pelt? 

Lol. Yes, we have a lot in common. It's a long story with the rabbits, but we acquired 23 of them to be exact and had never owned rabbits up to that point. We butchered 6 at first and didn't save any pelts because I wasn't sure how to tan them. We are going to butcher about 6 more soon and I will probably freeze the pelts, since I still don't know how to tan pelts. lol The rest of the rabbits are for breeding new show stock for now.  Have you used the pelts for anything before?

Cool! There are several ways of tanning; freeze the pelts untill you are ready to try. Then salt,  let them stay for a while in the salt, then depending on the tanning methode deflesh/tan - brake - oil. I use alun tan or brain tan (using egg instead of brain). I made 26 pelts (only 6 of them where home tanned) as seating pads (? for use outdoors when hiking and stuff) as prices for a local cross country ski race here this easter. Made dem special with leather straps and stuff. 

I'm cutting down on the rabbits at the moment, have not decided how many I am going to keep. Probably less than 10 for breeding. Had 86 adults on the most. Too much for me. 

When the kid is sick and mom do not want to do housekeeping :  Bracelet

40688579450_814aa595d8_k.jpg

28624020158_27d9bd1531_k.jpg

She is almost 5 years old, and does not mind all my mistakes :D 

Edited by Raksha

Thank you for the tips! 86 rabbits is far too many rabbits. Even the 16 we have right now are too many. For little critters, they sure can eat a lot of food. Cute bracelet! My daughter is almost 5 and thankfully hasn't made any leather requests from me yet. I am buried with projects at the moment.