rahuu

Anybody tried Weaver's diamond stitching chisels? Quality?

I've been looking into getting some diamond stitching chisels and came across Weaver's brand of chisels. They are really cheap compared to many other brands that are known to be of good quality. Around $20 for a set of 4 irons, which makes me worry that the tines will snap as soon as I try to use them. Should I just get a slightly more expensive set like the Seiwa? If you have any experience with the Weaver irons, please let me know your thoughts.

14 hours ago, rahuu said:

which makes me worry that the tines will snap as soon as I try to use them.

Yep, that's what happened. 

Thanks, Big Sioux. That's what I figured. A shame since Weaver tries to position themselves as a bit upscale.

8 hours ago, rahuu said:

Thanks, Big Sioux. That's what I figured. A shame since Weaver tries to position themselves as a bit upscale.

You're welcome.  In the past, I have defended Weaver time and again, but my faith in them has eroded.  They are discontinuing stuff that I use every year, and they are not the "one-stop-shop" for me that they used to be.  Quality is slipping in the hardware division, and I bought a handful of finished harness parts for resale last week, and was appalled at the crappy workmanship.  I believe they sub that stuff out to a local shop, but regardless, it was pretty poor and if that's the level of workmanship they are fine with representing, then I will buy no more finished harness parts for resale from them.  I had never used stitching chisels before I ordered the set from Weaver, so when I broke the first prong off (on the first project I'd used them on) I thought maybe it was operator error.  So, I was extra careful the remainder of the project, and broke another two prongs off the long 3mm chisel.  Junk, pure and simple.