Silverd

Weaver Easy Edger

Any body have anything to share re the Weaver edging machine?  Can the blades be sharpened?  Do they really work ?  are they worth the $1K cost?  Yes, No...What?????

Silverd

The blades can be resharpened. There are 12 edges to use. Weavers offer a resharpening service for them once you've gone through them. They are worth the $$$ if you are doing a lot of strap edging. There are two versions one does two edges and one does all four edges. I just sold two of the smaller top edge versions at the Sheridan show. They will do two top edges at a pass, flip the piece over and pull through again to do the bottom edges. Handy dandy.

I have the 2 edged one and think it works great.

You couldn't pry mine out of my cold dead hands.  I waited way too long to get one, always figured they were too high-priced for what they were.  A few years ago they came on sale in the spring and I bought one,  The first day I used it I wished I'd have bought one years earlier. If you do very much strapwork at all, they will pay for themselves in time saved. Plus it's fun to see a big pile of string on the floor at the end of the day:)

If your talking about the ones in the included pic, hands down they are in the top 3 of best time savers I've ever purchased. I liked it so much I purchased another so I can have two sizes set up at once. I also purchased extra blades so I have no down time when I send them in for sharpening. The part of the blade that does the work is oval so after you use all six positions on each blade you can switch the top blades with the bottom and then you have fresh blades with six more positions. I run approximately 150 straps a week through each one. Full hide side length using 9/10 latigo and bridle and I turn my blades about once every two weeks. They will do all 4 edges perfectly as fast as you can pull them through. I can do a whole side of latigo  5/8" straps 70-80" long each in about 10-15 minutes.

001.JPG

Good for use on English Bridle leather?  What would you say is a fair price for 2nd hand easy edger machine?

Silverd

That is very impressive.  Are you making tack?

Do you crease your straps?

Silverd

4 minutes ago, Silverd said:

Do you crease your straps?

Silverd

I do. I use an old Randall creaser that I've had for about 30 years or so. Excuse the mess in the background. I'm having hell week as I took 5 days off for the Sheridan leather show weekend before last so now I'm playing catch up...

003.JPG

Very cool...and you are making tack and such...strap work?

Silverd

4 hours ago, Mark842 said:

If your talking about the ones in the included pic, hands down they are in the top 3 of best time savers I've ever purchased. I liked it so much I purchased another so I can have two sizes set up at once. I also purchased extra blades so I have no down time when I send them in for sharpening. The part of the blade that does the work is oval so after you use all six positions on each blade you can switch the top blades with the bottom and then you have fresh blades with six more positions. I run approximately 150 straps a week through each one. Full hide side length using 9/10 latigo and bridle and I turn my blades about once every two weeks. They will do all 4 edges perfectly as fast as you can pull them through. I can do a whole side of latigo  5/8" straps 70-80" long each in about 10-15 minutes.

001.JPG

I have thought about having two set up many times, one for heavy work and one for lighter work.

4 hours ago, Silverd said:

Good for use on English Bridle leather?  What would you say is a fair price for 2nd hand easy edger machine?

Silverd

I use mine on English Bridle often, and it works well.  I don't know that you'll find a very good bargain on a second hand machine, as there is a pretty good demand for them.  But sometimes, a person gets lucky and can get one on an auction where nobody knows what it is, etc.

4 hours ago, Mark842 said:

I do. I use an old Randall creaser that I've had for about 30 years or so. Excuse the mess in the background. I'm having hell week as I took 5 days off for the Sheridan leather show weekend before last so now I'm playing catch up...

003.JPG

I notice your creaser is an old 2 gear machine and that you have added extra down pressure to it. I just sold one of these to a fella (haven't even shipped it yet), and we are both wondering about the difference between these and a newer 4 gear machine.  I've never had a 2 gear creaser set up to use.  All my users are 4 gear.  Do you have it rigged to put downward pressure as you crease by means of a foot pedal? And if so, was it not enough pressure?  Thank you.

Sorry silverd, didn't mean to highjack, but I'm a machinery junkie.

Not a problem Mark.  I'm a bit of a junkie myself.  All very interesting.  

Silverd

2 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I notice your creaser is an old 2 gear machine and that you have added extra down pressure to it. I just sold one of these to a fella (haven't even shipped it yet), and we are both wondering about the difference between these and a newer 4 gear machine.  I've never had a 2 gear creaser set up to use.  All my users are 4 gear.  Do you have it rigged to put downward pressure as you crease by means of a foot pedal? And if so, was it not enough pressure?  Thank you.

I purchased it without the foot pedal. It has the open mechanism for setting one up and that was my initial plan. Then I thought of one of my old strap embossers that has a foot pedal. The pedal is bolted to the floor in front of the work table and hooks to the embosser with a chain. It is a royal pain in the...I've tripped over that darn thing no matter where I've tried to locate it. So, for the Randall creaser I just rigged up that little gadget you see in the picture with a spring on one side and a turn buckle on the other. Then I just put a little pressure on the arm that would hook to the foot pedal when I feed in a strap to get the strap in and start cranking. I made it to be adjustable when I set it up but I have needed to adjust the pressure.

3 hours ago, Silverd said:

Very cool...and you are making tack and such...strap work?

Silverd

I don't do any tack. My knowledge in that field ends with correctly being able to identify each end of a horse 8 times out 10. This started a gazillion years ago when I was about 6 years old visiting a relative in Lake Ronkonkama New York and saw my first horse. While looking at the horse I saw something peculiar...its tail went up, so I stuck my head up under to take a look see. Never did that one twice!

My straps go mostly to purse and bag manufacturing.

There are a few machines that I consider game changers for leather shops running straps. This is most certainly one of those machines. Between this, a sewing machine, and their rotary punch you will never want to look back. I still use my hand beveler for tapered ends and around strap ends, but after the first pull you'll ask yourself why you hadnt gotten it sooner.

5 hours ago, Silverd said:

Not a problem Mark.  I'm a bit of a junkie myself.  All very interesting.  

Silverd

Actually I was the one apologizing about highjacking and being a machine junkie.  However, I think machine junkie probably describes quite a few of us here;)

Wow! Awsume accounts!  8 out of 10..really?  I' m vnot sure I believe that seeming how you were likely scared for life that faithful day under the tail of the beast!  No wonder you vered from the equine trade!  Sounds like it has worked out well for you just the same.  Thank you for the insights.  I'm taking the group's advise and will make an offer for the beveler and creaser just so you know.  Will provide an update asap.

Now what is this rotary punch device you speak of?

Silverd