Good day,

Can a liner be added to a finished belt?  I think I would have to remove the finish glue and stitching on the liner. 

Yes you could, but your going to have to glue and stitch it on. Might have some trouble with edges depending on how you finished the original.

Bigfoote,  Thanks for responding.  I plan on trying to a add the liner just to see what happens and to gain some knowledge. Its a regular 8/9 oz. belt I made it for a friend.  If I knew he was going hang a full size size 1911 on it, I would have made him a gun belt.  Ether way he'll have a good gun belt

Thanks Again, Seabee

6 hours ago, seabee said:

Good day,

Can a liner be added to a finished belt?  I think I would have to remove the finish glue and stitching on the liner. 

Depending on he finish, . . . you may have little to do.  

BUT, . . . I would take it to a sander anyway, . . . makes it a better bonding surface for the contact cement.  

AND, . . . I have seen belts that would not come apart once contact cemented together, . . . even without the stitching.

You are experimenting, . . . go for it, . . . and report back here and let us know your findings.

May God bless,

Dwight

32 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Depending on he finish, . . . you may have little to do.  

BUT, . . . I would take it to a sander anyway, . . . makes it a better bonding surface for the contact cement.  

AND, . . . I have seen belts that would not come apart once contact cemented together, . . . even without the stitching.

You are experimenting, . . . go for it, . . . and report back here and let us know your findings.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have been wearing one almost every single day since 2014. I am wearing it right now here at work. I cannot carry at work but when I am off I carry 1911s much of the time.

I did not build this one though so I cannot comment on type of glue used. But it is a 3 layer belt with elephant hide on top of two layers of cow.

Unlike a holster, a belt does not have anything pushing the outer and inner layers apart.

Good day all,  

A little update,  I did glue a liner on after sanding on a belt sander and this morning I trim the liner by under cutting it to round over the edge a little.  I than lightly sanded, burnished, and dyed the edge.  I going to hand stitch the belt tomorrow.

Thanks you all for helping on this

Seabee

P. S. Dwight, Your S&W Shield pattern worked great.  I used the holster least week to renew my permit.  Thank you for sharing

Seabee

There are several makers in the market place that offer these as part of their concealed carry line of products.  I also have offered them for a few years now when I was asked if I could make one.  The process is not difficult just a little more care needs to be taken depending on what is being used as a liner.  I have offered both stainless steal and Kydex as liners for belts, and of course it takes 2 straps to complete the process.  Both straps are of equal weight with the chosen liner glued between the 2 straps then sewed together,  extra caution has to be taken when using stainless to make sure it is lined up properly so that the sewing process can take place.

oldnslow,  Thanks for you insight and knowledge.  I also use Kydex between the straps.  My project turned out nice and my friend was happy.  When a customer is happy, I'm happy.  Have a great day.

Seabee

9 minutes ago, seabee said:

oldnslow,  Thanks for you insight and knowledge.  I also use Kydex between the straps.  My project turned out nice and my friend was happy.  When a customer is happy, I'm happy.  Have a great day.

Seabee

Seabee, how wide a strip of Kydex do you use for belts?  I look at the Kydex holsters I have, and the Kydex seems awfully stiff to use in a belt!

Gary

not answering for the other gent some of my experiences,  Try using stainless that is super stiff and if not placed precisely in place you blow the whole project, but with Kydex it is much better either 090 or125 and the good thing is that if out of line just a bit the machine can still sew it 

1 hour ago, OLDNSLOW said:

not answering for the other gent some of my experiences,  Try using stainless that is super stiff and if not placed precisely in place you blow the whole project, but with Kydex it is much better either 090 or125 and the good thing is that if out of line just a bit the machine can still sew it 

Thanks O&S - where do you buy your kydex in long strips?

Gary

I usually buy 24 inch long sheets from either knifekits or another source but it has been so long since I cant think o the other name, but I would try knifekits.com or Google kydez holster supplies and something should come up.  I had bought several all at the same time, I would usually use 2 pieces of 24 inch long placed in the middle then cut them down to length.  I hope that makes sense!

Edited by OLDNSLOW

40 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I usually buy 24 inch long sheets from either knifekits or another source but it has been so long since I cant think o the other name, but I would try knifekits.com or Google kydez holster supplies and something should come up.  I had bought several all at the same time, I would usually use 2 pieces of 24 inch long placed in the middle then cut them down to length.  I hope that makes sense!

Got it - thanks!

Gary

5 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I'm not much of a fan of steel or kydex lined belts, . . . leather has been doing a great job for centuries all by itself.

But if I did, . . . I'd use steel strapping off pallets, . . . it comes in a 1 inch wide variety, . . . and some folks will give it to you for hauling it away.

Sew both edges and the tongue, . . . slip the steel piece in like putting a knife into a sheath, . . . sew the buckle end closed, . . . voila, . . . done.

May God bless,

Dwight