Raksha

Rivets - what is the secret?

I have used rivets for some dog collars and stuff, but lately I just can't seem to get them to hold. I can pull them off with no effort at all. Is there some hidden secret to getting them to stick?  

I'm assuming you are using rapid rivets, you probably have too heavy leather and the center section isn't mushrooming as it should. In that case I would recommend copper rivets instead.

Yes, never used copper rivets so I really do not know what it is. (google here I come)  Thanks! :D 

From experience & I may get shot down by the expert masters.

Ensure thickness of leather and rivets are compatible, I also use glue.

What kind of glue? Have used 2,5 mm thick leather now, and the collar I made for my 25kg saluki holds up nice, but the one - similar - for another lighter dog, the rivets fly off. 

With rapid rivets the stem should be 3mm to 4mm above the leather, eg on 3mm leather the stem should be 6mm long. Any longer than this and the head will want to go sideways as you blatter it down tight. You can get away with only 2mm beyond the thickness of the leather if you blatter it down real good and hard

I quite using rapid rivets for any application that requires strength.  Even well set, it seems you can pull them apart.  Solid rivets etc. are a better bet if you are relying on them for anything other than decoration.

YinTx

I agree that if you are looking for strength and durability you really should be using solid rivets.  They take practice to get a good dome shape, but once you get the knack, it is pretty easy.  Try looking on youtube, I seem to remember some demonstration videos on there.  BTW, I had to remove a copper rivet the other day to accomplish a repair.  Let's just say it wasn't fun.  They really do the job.

I disagree on the strength of rapid rivets.

The guige strap of this shield is held at each end by a rapid rivet thru the wood holding a short strap, then the main strap itself is held to that via a brass loop, that strap is closed by a rapid rivet. The shield weighs about 7 kilos [15.5 lbs approx]. Under test one of my team whirled this shield around his head by the guige strap; he did this for several minutes using great force. The test lasted nearly an hour, testing the security of all the straps.

After this the rivets were inspected - they were still holding solid, and they continue to do so. All my shields have been in full contact battles and not one has failed in any way, and certainly not the ready rivets

5b0f9ec706ad2_shield101s.thumb.jpg.32ddf54119032b1fa1e1e30ed28104e9.jpg5b0f9edd3973a_shield102s.thumb.jpg.ee7f9bf192d6c5b3f9ffcc0c72c5ee5a.jpg5b0f9ee0b53c3_shield103s.jpg.56252bea0ab26659258fe8af9934329d.jpg5b0f9ee48dedf_shield203s.JPG.7eb57cafacc2ab02487ae2dc37749cdf.JPG

Thanks guys, I really apriciate your experience. Have not found solid rivets in the shops i usualy use for hardware. Any good tips on online shops with world wide shipping with an ok price? 

Edited by Raksha

Try LePrevo in Newcastle, England.  Email them, they're very helpful

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/

2/3rd down are the solid rivets; [Saddler's Copper Rivets]

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/rivets.htm

Thanks! :)