I cut my liners 1/4" wider than the face.  That gives me 1/8" on each side for "wiggle room."  I put waxed paper between the two layers when I'm ready to bond them together.  As I set the face down on the liner I roll the waxed paper back as I move along.  

1 hour ago, BruceGibson said:

I cut my liners 1/4" wider than the face.  That gives me 1/8" on each side for "wiggle room."  I put waxed paper between the two layers when I'm ready to bond them together.  As I set the face down on the liner I roll the waxed paper back as I move along.  

Me too.  WIth a solid color "plain" belt, doesn't matter if I trim a tad. But a carved belt, trimming really takes away from the look -- especially if there are carved or stamped borders.

On 6/20/2018 at 11:25 PM, Dwight said:

PJ, . . . depending on the desired thickness at the end of the job, . . . it will be between two layers of 6 oz and two layers of 8 oz.  I like cutting the pieces from the same hide, . . . side by side if I can.

I don't do much custom carving (actually try to avoid it) so I'm not the best source, . . . just giving you the info on how I do it.

The video shows how I put em together.  

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, I just came across this video while researching belt making techniques.  Can you tell me about the way you have the end of your belt cut where it folds back over and meets up with the liner, please? 

2 hours ago, SouthernCross said:

Dwight, I just came across this video while researching belt making techniques.  Can you tell me about the way you have the end of your belt cut where it folds back over and meets up with the liner, please? 

That's easy, . . . 

When I started making belts, . . . I did not like the way it looked after a while with the two pieces just butting up against each other.  A wrinkle would develop, . . . especially if it was flipped over backwards one or two too many times.

So I set about to find a better way.  That is what I developed.  The one picture shows the tool, . . . just a piece of conduit I sharpened all the way around, . . . cut it half way through (cross ways) the split the cut half and bent them back 90 degrees.  As you can see, . . . they come together nicely, . . . and the irregular shape keeps the belt from developing the "wrinkle".

May God bless,

Dwight

belt end tool.JPG

belt end meeting.JPG

How ingenious, sir!  Thanks for describing that.  Mind if I try it on one of my belts?

1 hour ago, SouthernCross said:

How ingenious, sir!  Thanks for describing that.  Mind if I try it on one of my belts?

Go ahead, . . . but make the tool first, . . . 

Piece of conduit (3/4 inch), . . . cut it off square, . . . ream the inside so there are no burrs, . . . sharpen it all the way around before you begin the cutting.  

Cut it half way thru, . . . cross ways, . . . then cut the "cut piece" down the middle, . . . and then bend those wings back 90 degrees.

Have fun, . . . and show us your handy work.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you Dwight for sharing how you made the tool.