sam000lee

Advice for cylinder arm machine for sewing saddlebags

I currently make tool rolls, fork bags and occasionally saddlebags for motrocylces and am hoping to get another sewing machine that is more suited for these types of items. I've been using a Consew 206RB-5 for leather and canvas and also have a Singer 13-15 for canvas only. The Consew 206 is a great machine, but doesn't work well for going around curves of a fork bag when using ~9oz leather and the way I end up having to position the material while sewing ends up leaving marks from the walking foot on the leather. I'm thinking I need a cylinder arm machine to handle these types of curves better.

I was also recently put in touch with this guy who is liquidating his factory that's been out of commission for a decade or so. He had 80 employees at one point and the factory is full of equipment. The machine he has been trying to sell me is an Adler 69-572 currently set up with a binder attachment. He wants $1300 for it. I wasn't able to find a ton of information about this machine but, as far as I can tell, it's best used for a #92 thread although can also handle a #137. When I looked at it I noticed the small bobbin so am thinking that maybe this isn't going to be the best machine for me. I'll usually run #137 on the Consew 206 but ideally would like a machine that could use a #207 or maybe higher.

My questions are:

1. Is $1300 a good price for the Adler?

2. Could somebody confirm that this is not going to be a good machine for me?

3. What recommendations do you have? The Cowboy CB-3200 looks like a good option, especially set up with a guide so I could get nice stitch spacing. I don't have a way of trying one out and am a also a little partial to buying used or old machines...

Thanks!

DSC05110.jpg

Edited by sam000lee

New comes with a warranty and support.  I my mind, that is too much for an old machine with a clutch motor that you are going to hate.  Get one that is setup to use 138 or heavier thread.

Tom

$1300 is a pretty hefty price for that machine. I know I would be struggling with half that amount. 

4 hours ago, sam000lee said:

3. What recommendations do you have? The Cowboy CB-3200 looks like a good option, especially set up with a guide so I could get nice stitch spacing. I don't have a way of trying one out and am a also a little partial to buying used or old machines..

This was my choice...glad i did it!  However i still want a 206rb5 or similar to do flat work like wallets etc...

I see nothing in it's favour - too expensive, would need the binding fittings replaced with "standard", need a new servo, has small bobbin.

Koreric probably has the best idea.

12 minutes ago, dikman said:

I see nothing in it's favour - too expensive, would need the binding fittings replaced with "standard", need a new servo, has small bobbin.

Koreric probably has the best idea.

:rockon:

5 hours ago, sam000lee said:

. I don't have a way of trying one out and am a also a little partial to buying used or old machines...

If you were closer, i'd gladly let you swing by and check it out...I don't know anyone in your neck o the woods that has one, but i bet there is.  I picked mine up in dallas,tx, after discussing with Alexander at @SolarLeatherMachines, about a 4hr drive. for me..i think the closest I know of would be @CowboyBob  in ohio which is a haul, there is a sheridan show? that travels around, maybe others that would have a cbXXXX to check out...could be worth checking into.

For the used/old machines...good luck finding a used CB...seriously, and if you do, they aren't going to want to let go of it much cheaper than you could buy new (likely they have a few options/accessories) Nothing against them, I wouldn't let mine go either...lol.  It was tempting to take $500 or so bucks and try to find an ebay steal, but I managed to work through and keep hand stitching the big stuff and relying on the home machine for light stuff until i could scratch together enough.

If you must/have to have something now, call @CowboyBob, they have a large inventory of used machines and if you tell him what you're looking for he may have a solution for you. 

Before i called solar-leather I made a list of items i've made, been asked to make, and wanted to make but haven't because I didn't feel a hand stitched item would look correct or the idea of punching through the thickness didn't appeal  I still hand stitch, alot!, but if i'm working a belt, holster, harness, where it's very thick, or long stitch runs, i'm stringing up the cb.

I have an Adler that size and another brand that size for binding. You mentioned aside from tool bags saddle bags and I have to advise this 69 is good for medium hanbags and wallets and so on but NOT for saddle bags without a lot of compromises. A bigger bobbin with the thicker thread is something to not overlook too quickly as well. I would consider if going to a CB 3200 to perhaps consider a CB 4500 as that will allow give you even higher lift and can be with a few alterations able to get down to 3oz as well.I may be wrong but I think they both share the same size needle which at times has the disadvantage of being a bit long and can sometimes wander a little, though I have not had much problem with that myself. Note: in this earlier post where I am stitching up a linesman's pouch and the thickness is about 1/2" plus

And in this next post I am using the same machine to stitch some 1.5mm (3oz) upholstery leather with some machine changes.

The $1300 for your application would be better put to a heavier machine capability I think.

Also, it sort of looks like the Adler equivalent of a Pfaff 335? If it is it may have a pretty short stitch length like my Pfaff.

4 hours ago, dikman said:

Also, it sort of looks like the Adler equivalent of a Pfaff 335? If it is it may have a pretty short stitch length like my Pfaff.

That’s exactly what it is. 

Awesome, thanks so much for all the advice everyone! I'm going to pass on this one and save up some more for the CB-3200 or something else if it comes along. :)