sam000lee

Questions about Automatic Spot setters

So I have the opportunity to purchase an automatic spot setter from this guy I was put in touch with. He's liquidating his factory that's been out of business for about a decade. The machine is made by Stimpson who as far as I can tell no longer makes these spot setting machines. It is currently set up for 2-pronged spots with 3/8" gap between the prongs.

He's offered to sell it for $1,000 which seems like a lot to me. It's foot operated with a hopper and a track that feeds the spots into the setter. He has a bag of round spots to go with it but I would be sourcing silver ones from Standard Rivet. I had never seen machines that automatically feed the next piece of hardware in and don't want to miss the opportunity.

My questions are:

1. Is this too much for the machine?

2. How compatible would it be with other 3/8 spots. If I have a spot that has a slightly differently shaped dome, will it still set them?

3. I tried to find other tracks for it as well as other die sets but haven't had any luck. Does anybody still makes these or does anybody here know of a source of used parts?

DSC05125.jpg

I haven't ever used or seen a Stimpson auto spotter, but I have two made by Standard rivet, and I paid a whole lot more than $1000 for each of them, in fact over double.  However, the fact that you may not be able to get different dies for this one could bring the value down.  A word about dies:  spotters, like sewing machines, can be kind of a contrary animal. They often take some tinkering to get them to set a spot correctly.  I have different sizes of dies for both of mine, but once I get them set up to run a specific size, I detest having to change them, especially the machine that sets the smaller spots.  The smaller the spot, the more precise everything has to be.  With an automatic, if you have trouble, it doesn't take long to blow through a bunch of spots.  So, what I'm trying to say is that IF the machine works properly, I don't feel $1000 is too bad for it, even if you never find another set of dies for it, because if I could, I'd have an auto machine set up for every size spot that I commonly use, and never have to switch sizes.  But, I would make very sure that the machine works.

Regarding your question about the 3/8" set of dies setting other 3/8" spots with a different shaped top:  I've never used anything other than standard round topped spots in either of my automatics, but I have a semi-auto attachment for a foot press, and I use the same set of dies to set umbrella or parachute spots as I use to set standard round spots.  The crystal spots take a different size holder, and I'm assuming conical spots, or any other that vary much from the round shaped top, would require at least a different driver, but that may not be difficult to make or have made.  Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback - super helpful. I'll be using mostly round spots from Standard Rivet but some of them are the more pointy shaped cone studs that have more height to them. I guess I'll just have to do some experimenting. One other thing I noticed is that it's a little tricky to get the spots right next to each other (like almost touching). I would like to be able to apply them in a honeycomb type pattern. In your experience, is this possible with an automatic setter and do you have any tips for getting them to sit close to each other?

When I set spots, I set them as close to one another as I can, meaning I just move the work over enough after setting one spot, for the holder of the machine to rest right up against the previously set spot.  Then you have no spacing issues.  For a honeycomb pattern, set your center spot.  Then set one at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00.  Then fill in between each of those.  This takes some practice on scrap to determine what sizes work together, and you have to play with the spacing a little to get it to come out right.  I keep these practice pieces in a box so that when I need to make any give pattern (we call them flowers in the harness trade), all I have to do is pull out the specific pattern I want and note the spacing and get to work.  In the box with the practice pieces are pieces where the spacing WASN"T right, just as a reminder to myself what WON"T work. 

An edge guide for the machine helps immensely in getting the spots set in a straight line along an edge  or strap. In fact, I would say that it is requi