Lobo

Great advice from a divorce lawyer

A young man should never get married until he is absolutely sure that he can afford the divorce!

12 minutes ago, TomWisc said:

Amen, brother! Married 42 years to a great woman but paid dearly for my son's divorce!

They say divorce is so expensive because it is worth the cost. I hope I never have to find out if that is true.

On 6/3/2018 at 10:29 PM, Lobo said:

They say divorce is so expensive because it is worth the cost. I hope I never have to find out if that is true.

It is a true statement in my case. But it's one of those things it takes years to recoup from. 

i used to tell friends the next time I wanted to get married, I was going to find a woman I did not like buy her a house.

Then I met Miss Di . It's been a good 25 years.  

So why marrying at all? For "love"? For saving taxes? For a stupid "the most wonderful day in your life" moment (or two, or three, or...)? For traditional reasons? Come on... :lol:

My 1st marriage years ago was horrible, we had big problems from the start! As an example we had a Dalmatian dog that stayed in the backyard, one day when I got home from work the dog had tried to jump the chain link fence and I found him hanging from the fence.  So I always say my 1st marriage was so bad my dog hung himself.  True story but this marriage has lasted 36 wonderful years and the good Lord willing it will last numerous more.  As I have always said there is nothing better than a good marriage and nothing worse than a bad one. I’ve had both!

Next month is my 30th anniversary, hopefully I will never need a divorce lawyer!

in 30 years we have only had 4 arguments, I put it down to compatible insanity 

On 4/27/2020 at 4:18 PM, HaloJones said:

Next month is my 30th anniversary, hopefully I will never need a divorce lawyer!

That is a good run. Happy Annie when it comes

On 4/27/2020 at 4:18 PM, HaloJones said:

in 30 years we have only had 4 arguments, . . . .

There's a cynical joke in there; the first lasted 3 years, the second lasted 6 years, the third lasted 9 years and the fourth has lasted 12 years

:lol::lol:

2 hours ago, fredk said:

That is a good run. Happy Annie when it comes

There's a cynical joke in there; the first lasted 3 years, the second lasted 6 years, the third lasted 9 years and the fourth has lasted 12 years

:lol::lol:

LOL

I am about to be 35 this december. Single right now.

How i see it and I would only want to get married once, if it does not work out. I will not get married again.

Also, i would want my SO to sign prenup.

Any advise for me?

I love being married, it's been 15 years and I love it as much as day 1.

That happens too, occasionally.

I asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday. She said "a divorce". 

I told her that I wasn't planning on spending that much....

On 7/17/2020 at 1:47 PM, imawalkingfoot said:

I am about to be 35 this december. Single right now.

How i see it and I would only want to get married once, if it does not work out. I will not get married again.

Also, i would want my SO to sign prenup.

Any advise for me?

when the time comes and if you still feel you need a prenup then dont do it, marriage is about life , love , and sharing everything good and bad. Been together over 40 years lived together about 7, 6 kids, before we tied the knot and it is the greatest thing i have ever accomplished .

Happiness here as well. No, not every day, but on balance. Celebrated 20 years last month and although Covid meant we missed out on the cruise we had long contemplated for our 20th, instead the kids made us dinner and we enjoyed an evening together as a family. Life is far from perfect, but it’s good.

I'm with Chuck on this one - if you still think you need a prenup when the time comes, maybe the *right* time hasn’t come after all.

Hey there! I totally agree with the sentiment of not getting married until one is financially secure and prepared for the possibility of divorce. It's always better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to such a big life decision. Speaking from personal experience, I was grateful to have the help of the lawyers when I needed to review some settlements. They were knowledgeable, professional, and made the process much easier for me. I highly recommend their services to anyone in need of legal guidance.

Edited by Northmount
Removed ad

Some people just have to be married. Divorced/widowed 6 months and married again. I liked being single. I can wash my own clothes and cook enough to get by. Fond he right girl after I gave up looking. After 34 years still the only human I can stand to be around for any length of time. If you are worried about sharing your money don’t get married. All we have is ours. Neither one of us grew up with any money. Made our own way before we got married. I can’t imagine more torture than the wrong person however. Marriage is great but whatever you imagine it to be it ain’t that. 

Peter O'Tooles view of marriage  , " find someone you don't like and give them a house" .

HS

On 2/11/2023 at 9:45 AM, Handstitched said:

Peter O'Tooles view of marriage  , " find someone you don't like and give them a house" .

HS

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I did so. And I don't like it

It's clear that divorce law is written both BY and FOR divorce lawyers.  Much like a shady mechanic, a government office, or any other con man -- the longer they keep the case going, the more they get paid.

That may be the case in USA but in N.I. there is a set fee, which is quite low. afair its £125 or £150. No extra beyond that fee, which includes court fees, may be charged. Makes divorces too quick and easy tho imo

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

It's clear that divorce law is written both BY and FOR divorce lawyers.  Much like a shady mechanic, a government office, or any other con man -- the longer they keep the case going, the more they get paid.

All law is written for the same reason, why would divorce law be different? btw did you get your camp Lejune settlement yet lol i get at least ten emails day.

Married for 28 years the first time.  Single for a year before I even thought about dating, then found someone who has now been my best friend and bride for the last 11 years.  We had both lost our spouses to  cancer at about the same time, so we both knew about long-term commitment and working through the issues as they come up.

When I was dating though I encountered a few divorcees.  Man they were a bitter group.  Nothing good to say about their ex's, and in some cases about men in general.  Didn't go out on a second date with them.  Can't say it was just women that were like that though.  I knew a few men that complained about their ex's too.  Some people probably shouldn't be in a relationship to begin with.